Solo Bricked?

Reaction score
Ok I’ll try to keep this short and just get to the point. Got my fancy 3DR solo out to take to the beach and fly just to get the calibration required message. All original by the way. So I used the old solo app and it kept failing the cal. So I did a factory reset then it had to have the factory update. So I deleted my solo app just to find out that solo is no longer supported - WTH!! Starting to get pissed at this point. So I couldn’t download the app any more so I purchased SidePilot and downloaded the new open solo 4 software. Followed ALL instructions, however it never passed the post install checks on the controller. Hung up for over 25 min and was just frozen. Powered down and back up now everything is screwed. My controller will not pair with my solo. I have tried the pairing procedure and removed the gimbal and pressed the SSWT switch, and held while powering up, and tried repairing. No luck. I’ve did all this at least 20 times. It’s not working. Now my IPad or IPhone will not even connect to controller WiFi and says password is wrong for the sololink_XXXX SSID. It has been sololink for the last couple days while doing this and I never changed, but nonetheless it will not work at all now. My controller says OpenSolo 4.0.0 when I turn on. No clue what my copter is at. It’s actually sporadically pared a couple times throughout these trials and errors and it appeared my copter was still at original 0.x.x 3DR software. At one point my controller said software mismatch but then lost its pair again. Like I said very sporadic but it’s not paired and I just get two low tones with 4 green lights when I turn on my solo, and the controller says waiting on solo, and I cannot connect to the WiFi SSID cause it says wrong password. Totally screwed. Is there any hope here or do I just need to kick the dang thing as far as possible and go buy a DJI Mavic 2. My friend just got one and the thing is awesome so I wanted to show him how cool this is. My bad for getting cocky I guess. Now after a little humility lesson and a lot of lost patience, I’m here asking what can I Do?

Reactions: Zman7575
If you have an old android device or get one used, you can get the original solo app from google play to reset firmware. Will not work on newer android devices, Also, many people prefer Solex for android and will run on newer android devices. I use an old nexus 7 and it works just fine with the 3dr app. Default password is sololink

Reactions: Swallabat
Don't lose hope and follow what @Davideo said as I actually bought a 3dr Solo really cheap off Ebay and did the whole process today on an older android.

I did try just to jump straight to Open Solo , but got a preinstall error and so had to factory reset the Solo. After I did this, I used an older android tablet and installed solo. Did the solo update on both controller and copter to 2.4.2 then moved over to Solex and all went pretty well. It takes a bit of time but now bother are running OpenSolo 4 and I don't have to worry about firmware updates from 3DR going down the drain.

Reactions: Swallabat
There's potentially a LOT of reasons why the guy hasn't popped back up to say thanks, or appreciate the help he got, so since this thread has helped me understand things a bit better, I'll say it for him.

Anyway, I've worked with aircraft & their engineers, and come to learn that you can't expect much from most of them in terms of social niceties!

Reactions: Ribs
There's potentially a LOT of reasons why the guy hasn't popped back up to say thanks, or appreciate the help he got, so since this thread has helped me understand things a bit better, I'll say it for him.

Anyway, I've worked with aircraft & their engineers, and come to learn that you can't expect much from most of them in terms of social niceties!
Not cool. You have no idea what he is doing. He might have health issues, he might be in the hospital. He might have moved on. Let's not play that game.

In excess of 550 word diatribe then 4 days later a kick-prodder? Might have extended term writer's cramp.

If you have an old android device or get one used, you can get the original solo app from google play to reset firmware. Will not work on newer android devices, Also, many people prefer Solex for android and will run on newer android devices. I use an old nexus 7 and it works just fine with the 3dr app. Default password is sololink
That’s great a idea, but it still won’t unbrick the copter, been there done that! I also did the sidepilot app for iPhone. The controller will go back to stock, but copter won’t respond to stock Version or sidepilot

You've probably tried the factory reset on the bird but if not, do it. Then try the Solex setup to Open Solo 4. If that is not an option, try re-imaging the bird's SD card (may as well do the controller and start over too) with the files from the MEGA site. That should put you at ground zero where things could work. Otherwise, no idea except to try and try again. The odd thing, sometimes re-doing what you already did and failed at will work! Steps, sequences, platform you start from, all play into the fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela