Solo afraid of heights

Reaction score
I think my Solo has a real want NOT to be a Solo and instead be as close to me/RC as possible. First flight a few days ago and had my first disconnect, Solo was 150 or so alt and 40/60 distance so could have been angle thing but I did not think it was likely based on everything I was witnessing. Out again this morning to try to sort it out and over two batteries I had no less than 5 RC disconnects. These were all over the place in terms of alt, and distance. One thing that I was able to quantify was that my Solo does not like to be more than 150 (200 feet was ok for a bit but 300 was the kiss of death) in alt before it get's home sick and wants to RTH (aka loose signal). Nearly every time 300 foot out and 300 or higher up and I can recreate the disconnect. This being my first Solo (NIB to boot) I'm not 100% if this is how the 3dr engineers designed or if this is just "MY" Solo. I have another NIB (bundle this time) coming mid week so will be able to compare two NIB back to back to see if mine is unique or if mine is status quo. I have a set of the Alpha's on the way as well to see if they can help this poor Solo break thru the glass ceiling (literally)

The good news is that my Solo likes to return home and on every occasion made it's way back to launch point where I was each time able to regain control. I'm flying on the top of a large mountain so this is not an issue but would not want to be in a more urban env as it would likely end up running into something.

Solo should not be doing that. Where are you flying- on a mountain? The surrounding terrain might have something to do with it.

It's wide open ... think rolling hills with a few that are taller than all then big valley. Ideal place to fly so perhaps there is a real issue with my rc to ac connection. Just completed a few batteries of night flying ... did I mention that this thing ROCKS at night!!! 100-120 alt max and 200 or so distance and no drops but then again I did not expect them. The night flying is in a very urban area,... small park - lots of houses and I'm sure tons of wifi etc... but all was good. My best/next data point will be when my next new bundle arrives then I can do a side by side in same location with out the Alpha's at first.

It's wide open ... think rolling hills with a few that are taller than all then big valley. Ideal place to fly so perhaps there is a real issue with my rc to ac connection. Just completed a few batteries of night flying ... did I mention that this thing ROCKS at night!!! 100-120 alt max and 200 or so distance and no drops but then again I did not expect them. The night flying is in a very urban area,... small park - lots of houses and I'm sure tons of wifi etc... but all was good. My best/next data point will be when my next new bundle arrives then I can do a side by side in same location with out the Alpha's at first.
You may want to take a look at this video, I am not saying this is your problem but it is interesting what these guys found!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill

Yeah - I'd be curious as to how many found the connections to the board loose. On my 1st Solo that would not connect I took the RC apart focused on the SD card. Key will be how my 2nd inbound Solo reacts in the same area ... if it does not loose signal then I will likely use the known good RC to connect to Solo #1 to see if the problem goes away. My Alpha's just arrived so plan to hit the "hill" again today to see if my results improve.

Yeah - I'd be curious as to how many found the connections to the board loose. On my 1st Solo that would not connect I took the RC apart focused on the SD card. Key will be how my 2nd inbound Solo reacts in the same area ... if it does not loose signal then I will likely use the known good RC to connect to Solo #1 to see if the problem goes away. My Alpha's just arrived so plan to hit the "hill" again today to see if my results improve.
1/3 for me so far, though the one that had the issue was a refurb (as was another one of my three).

Well I may just have to open the RC up and take a look. Took the Solo back out this afternoon to the same spot, this time with my P4P and MP hoping their range (more so MP's range) would wear off on the Solo .... unfortunately it did not. Good news is that with the Alpha's instead of 6+ disconnects I was actually able to fly at 300 - 400 for a bit ... One whole battery w/out any drop's but on 2nd battery I had 3 or 4 ... was able to regain quickly enough but really looking forward to testing out my en-route NIB Solo for a back to back.

You may want to take a look at this video, I am not saying this is your problem but it is interesting what these guys found!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill
I guess they don't know what CLOSE UP is.o_O

Well I may just have to open the RC up and take a look. Took the Solo back out this afternoon to the same spot, this time with my P4P and MP hoping their range (more so MP's range) would wear off on the Solo .... unfortunately it did not. Good news is that with the Alpha's instead of 6+ disconnects I was actually able to fly at 300 - 400 for a bit ... One whole battery w/out any drop's but on 2nd battery I had 3 or 4 ... was able to regain quickly enough but really looking forward to testing out my en-route NIB Solo for a back to back.
I'm kinda reluctant to go over 400 and had no problem. Adjusted settings and got 550 but chickened out.

If the antenna is not seated properly from the factory, if you measure resistance on the antenna shouldn't it tell you? Anybody know what a good antenna connection's resistance should or shouldn't be?

Report back after flying my 3rd NIB Solo I'm happy .. or Sad depending on how you look at it to REPORT that my Solo is in fact a Solo and 3rd NIB drops just as well as #2. Mind you these are two NIB, one with gimbal installed one w/out - both with rev B's that kick ass btw ... 14 sat's under 1 min. The good news is that I'm not as sad about returning my #3 with bad accessory port since now I know Solo's are Solo's and i'm likely to get another one the same but hopefully this time I can fire up my PP lights! I took a bunch of footage and still photos' with my GP4 - looking forward to comparing them to the footage I get out of my P4P and MP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks