Solo 2.0 is out...

Ha! First thing I looked for, can't find it.

I'll be interested to see people's reaction to the minefield that is the airport restriction warnings. As I discovered a while back, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 5 mile radius around some airport.

Also interested to hear what airport operator's reactions will be to the inevitable flood of calls they'll be getting now. Since they just have to be notified of a flight, not specifically approve it, airports are going to get a lot of calls they can only answer with:

"Hello, this is such-and-such airport. Ok, thanks for letting us know, just stay under 400 ft."
Ring, ring...
"Hello, this is such-and-such airport. Ok, thanks for letting us know, just stay under 400 ft."
Ring, ring...
Ring, ring...
Ring, ring...

It's going to get old for them real quick.

Last edited:
^ that would be a good thing, let the towers complain about the new rules so they get repealed

Definitely.

It would surprise me not at all if many of them end up answering "the call" with something like "Ok, thanks for letting us know, you don't need to call every time, just stay under 400 feet and out of air traffic's way".

While I think the "notify the airport" thing is untenable, I'm ok with the rules overall as a necessary evil. But I think it'd be more realistic and more fair if they were along the lines of:

Fly under 400 feet, LOS, not with 1/3 of a mile of ends of runways and yield to air traffic at all times, and you don't need to notify anyone. If you want to fly outside these parameters, you need to contact a local airport and get your flight plan approved.

Then again, I fully acknowledge most people probably aren't responsible enough for that amount of "gray" area.

Last edited:
This is exactly what happened to me in my favorite flying area. I called them all (several overlapping heliports) once and they said exactly that except it was "keep it below 300' then no need to call".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44