Shelling out on @3drobotics Solo: getting root on a ‘Smart Drone'

S

Solosm Art Drone

This PDF is password protected: TjSDBkAu http://www.digitalmunition.com/ShellingOutOnSolo.pdf

"You can’t get away from marketing these days… unfortunately Release Now, Patch Later mentality is very rampant in the electronics development culture. You really never can tell what you will actually get in hand... I can assure you that this paper won’t fall under the same regurgitated pre-canned buzz word centric “Dual 1ghz Processor Linux Computer” style marketing blurb spin off “reviews” that you’ve seen as of late. The contents of this paper won’t be spoon fed to you by a semi technical Photographer, or micro celebrity. Likewise you will not hear what is written on CBS Morning News nestled amongst warm good feeling words like “Smart drone promises to change aerial photography”. What follows will be a raw unadulterated dose of research based opinion coupled with a bit of technical detail to back up the general opine."

CHtP5FYUwAEyDNG.png

The written word of @DIYDroneSafety IS like an AK-47, you have pre-ban & post ban. (Twitter ban that is!)

the-pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword.jpg

Reactions: TaniaGail
That first part about the marketing and cost of booths and stuff was pretty useless....but the rest of it was usefull. Also, no mention of the source code that 3DR released (perhaps it was written before the release)

bottom line.....change the default password on the wifi for the solo (and any other consumer device you have). If you do not....it is easy to hack into.

While much of this is true, in practice, going to this much trouble within a twenty-minute or less window of time, is highly unlikely. Change the password to something simple, and stop worrying.

While much of this is true, in practice, going to this much trouble within a twenty-minute or less window of time, is highly unlikely. Change the password to something simple, and stop worrying.
+1. Obvious attempt at alarming people. Theoretical, yes. In practice, not so much.

"in practice" - ignorance is bliss. ;)

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/wireless-password-easily-cracked/

Catching a handshake can occur in the moment at which you power up your gear. An offline attack against the handshake is trivial at best.
Thanks for the link. But you obviously didn't read the article or the final thoughts of the writer, or you wouldn't had try to use it to make your point. I'm sure you liked the heading of the article and didn't think anyone would read it. 35yrs in the computer industry and I see this stuff all the time.

"First, the good news. WPA and WPA2 use an extremely robust password-storage regimen that significantly slows the speed of automated cracking programs" <---- after 35 years you know that people are lazy...

The final thoughts?
"Yes, the gains made by crackers over the past decade mean that passwords are under assault like never before. It's also true that it's trivial for hackers in your vicinity to capture the packets of the wireless access point that routes some of your most closely held secrets. But that doesn't mean you have to be a sitting duck. When done right, it's not hard to pick a passcode that will take weeks, months, or years to crack."

Yeah I agree with them... you seem to underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Likewise... have you considered for one moment that peoples phones and tablets get malware? Have you considered that these same devices ultimately wind up with the SoloLink password? Of course you have... 35 years in the industry. *hat tip*

"First, the good news. WPA and WPA2 use an extremely robust password-storage regimen that significantly slows the speed of automated cracking programs" <---- after 35 years you know that people are lazy...

The final thoughts?
"Yes, the gains made by crackers over the past decade mean that passwords are under assault like never before. It's also true that it's trivial for hackers in your vicinity to capture the packets of the wireless access point that routes some of your most closely held secrets. But that doesn't mean you have to be a sitting duck. When done right, it's not hard to pick a passcode that will take weeks, months, or years to crack."

Yeah I agree with them... you seem to underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Likewise... have you considered for one moment that peoples phones and tablets get malware? Have you considered that these same devices ultimately wind up with the SoloLink password? Of course you have... 35 years in the industry. *hat tip*

Sorry, you're right. I bow to your wisdom. There is going to be wild Solos flying and crashing everywhere due to hackers with the time, tools (and desire, and close enough due to the poor range reported) to grab your flying machine and make it do terrible things. Thanks again.. You win. I am cancelling my order..Just can't risk it and be a part of the madness!

schwew.... I almost bowed to your 35 years experience. Thanks for calling off the dogs. ;)

That first part about the marketing and cost of booths and stuff was pretty useless....but the rest of it was usefull. Also, no mention of the source code that 3DR released (perhaps it was written before the release)

bottom line.....change the default password on the wifi for the solo (and any other consumer device you have). If you do not....it is easy to hack into.
Great advice

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44