Seeking Startup suggestions after not flying my solo for 2.5 years

Reaction score
I have been unable to fly due to a very busy schedule and some challenging health issues in our family which thank God are behind us now.
I had upgrades my gps before the interruption in flying and I have maintained my batteries at the recommended storage charge throughout the time. I have not changed my operating system in any way so it is still stock and I am setup with a gopro hero 4 on it.

The unit only has about 50 flights on it and it was working great ever since I purchased it.
So just wondering with all the changes that take place and the zero 3DR support what do I need to be aware off when I try to take it back out to fly? Is it going to try and force some kind of update that will put me in the dark and unable to connect or operate? Any maintenance that should be done? Recommended updates?

If there are links to things I need to be aware of they would be appreciared. I am asking because I really am ignorant as to all the changes that have taken place and how they might impact my bird on startup.
Thanks for your consideration.
P.S. I am aware of the legal requirements for flying in Canada when not flying under MAAC if which I am a member.

Just wondering w

A few things I can point out.

1. The Solo app has not been maintained and doesn't work on Android 9 and up. Buying Solex is the best solution. Using an older device for the old Solo app is an option.

2. It is highly possible that your batteries will not fly for very long and/or could be dangerous to fly. They are old and deteriorating. Search for Battery Mod For Dummies in this forum. It will get you caught up with the status of Solo batteries. Here is a link to the document itself. Solo Battery Mod for Dummies (Rev).pdf

3. Updating the firmware to Open Solo 3.0 is highly recommended. More info about Open Solo is here: OpenSolo/OpenSolo

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyrite
I believe OpenSolo 4 is now the recommendation
Yes but it is Open Solo 4.0-DEV because Arducopter 4.0 is still in Dev. Even though it is very stable and feature rich it is still technically in Dev. I assume most will want the latest stable version. If they want the very latest thing they probably aren't asking a question this broad.

I do believe Open Solo 4 will be the standard very soon and is likely safe at this point but I tend to recommend on the side of caution for others.

JB is bang on with his advise. Definitely get Solex and join the FB group. It is an amazing app and well worth the money.
The only thing I can add is that you may want to pick up a solo battery tool from Palmar at [email protected], assuming he is still providing them (got mine two years ago). It is basically a fancy lipo checker specific for solo batteries and will provide information to help determine status of battery. I haven't done any battery mods yet but will have to in near future. I'm also in Canada and getting too damn cold to fly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc