Ruined Go Pro USB port

Reaction score
I was not watching what I was doing and plugged the Solo cable into the USB port of the Go Pro. It ruined the usb port of my Hero4 and the hdmi cable on the Solo. I was wondering, why am I not getting a signal from my gopro and realized my mistake. Of course I thought there could be a costly mistake some day, but I thought it might include more drama that this stupidity. I am thinking now maybe a custom cutout on that silly little go pro cover so you can install it over the usb and the micro sata card and only leave the hdmi exposed. Might be great insurance to know which port to use without a second glance. Another idea I was thinking about and have not yet implemented is to throw a reward label with my phone number on my Solo in case it ever chooses to go its own way. Please let me know if you have any ideas to minimize losses, I love to learn from the mistakes of others, rather than my own;)

I was not watching what I was doing and plugged the Solo cable into the USB port of the Go Pro. It ruined the usb port of my Hero4 and the hdmi cable on the Solo. I was wondering, why am I not getting a signal from my gopro and realized my mistake. Of course I thought there could be a costly mistake some day, but I thought it might include more drama that this stupidity. I am thinking now maybe a custom cutout on that silly little go pro cover so you can install it over the usb and the micro sata card and only leave the hdmi exposed. Might be great insurance to know which port to use without a second glance. Another idea I was thinking about and have not yet implemented is to throw a reward label with my phone number on my Solo in case it ever chooses to go its own way. Please let me know if you have any ideas to minimize losses, I love to learn from the mistakes of others, rather than my own;)
get a marco polo too .
this will help you find your solo if it gets lost.

Sorry about your cable mix up.

Yes, it is a good idea to put your name and number on your quad with an offer of a reward. The AMA also recommends adding your AMA # if you're a member. I have this information on my quads and my fixed wings as well. I lost a little fixed wing plane into a pine forest a few years ago - carried of by a gust of wind. A year later I got a call from a guy who found it while hiking. Thing was in perfect condition, I was even able to recharge the battery. Hard to believe it survived the winter, but it did.

+1 on the Marco Polo option. It is a great tool and not really expensive for the peace of mind it offers. I put on (via velcro) on everything I fly and it has saved me from losing a heli that I flew out too far into the sage brush. It definitely removes some of the stress and pucker syndrome from flying. It is a little funky since the location screen has a dogs face on it (no offense GoodnNuff) , but it was originally made to locate your missing pet.

Thanks for the tip on AMA#, I briefly browsed the site and will be joining.

And the Marco Polo tracker tip. There are tons of tracker versions out there now, I was surprised. Is everyone liking the Marco Polo because there is no wifi and gps to interfere with signals?

are you sure that you ruened the usb port?
try it and it still may work.

what is your ama number?
mine is
182 Contest Director
got my first ama card in
Well I was still a suckling in 1960 Dirby!
Mine is 1006508 - You must have been a founding member? Lifetime membership now?

are you sure that you ruened the usb port?
try it and it still may work.
I was hoping the same thing, but it's no good. I started a support ticket with both GoPro and 3DR I'll post back when I hear if either one of them will help me out with my screw up.

I am thinking this gimbal delay has take a toll on many HDMI GoPro ports. Not the easiest to insert and the cable is like steel !

I am thinking this gimbal delay has take a toll on many HDMI GoPro ports. Not the easiest to insert and the cable is like steel !
Have you heard of any others?

Be careful what you say here, next thing you know you'll read on RC Groups how the Solo cable is "ruining multitudes of GoPro ports because of its shoddy design." LOL

Yes I think there have been 4 reported on here. I worry about stuff like that.

My Phantom 3 connects with USB cable from tablet to controller. I like the setup much better than the Solo Wifi (and old vision +). BUT, you are plugging a cable in and out all the time. Those connectors are not that robust. When the tablet USB connector goes bad, you cant sync or charge it. So big negative for the Phantom.

Last edited:
Thought I would update. I contacted 3dr and told them I had ruined the usb cable. They first said I could send it for repairs or order the cable at my cost (fair it was my mistake). After checking while I was on hold he said they did not have the cable in stock so they would send me out a new unit after receiving mine -no cost. I think that is pretty good customer service. I sent mine back a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it won't take too long, especially knowing that the gimbal will soon be on the way!

+1 on the Marco Polo option. It is a great tool and not really expensive for the peace of mind it offers. I put on (via velcro) on everything I fly and it has saved me from losing a heli that I flew out too far into the sage brush. It definitely removes some of the stress and pucker syndrome from flying. It is a little funky since the location screen has a dogs face on it (no offense GoodnNuff) , but it was originally made to locate your missing pet.

where would you attach to a solo, and does it reduce flight time?

where would you attach to a solo, and does it reduce flight time?

Marco Polo needs no electrical connection to Solo so there is no reduction in flight time. Marco Polo has its own built in rechargeable battery supply.

You can velcro it on a leg or wherever you find a place to be convenient for you. It is very light weight and will no cause any balance problems.

Have you heard of any others?

Be careful what you say here, next thing you know you'll read on RC Groups how the Solo cable is "ruining multitudes of GoPro ports because of its shoddy design." LOL

Yep Lost mine on a 3 Black ( it was time for a 4 anyway ;-) )

upload_2015-8-28_11-0-58.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado