RTH Speed

Reaction score
Anybody know how to increase the RTH speed. It seems to be set at 21 mph. And my speed setting is on fastest. Im looking for a config file hack.

There is no specific parameter for RTL speed but when RTL initiates it is in automode as in waypoint flying and I believe the only parameter you have for adjusting the horizontal speed is the:

Waypoint Horizontal Speed Target (WPNAV_SPEED)

Defines the speed in cm/s which the aircraft will attempt to maintain horizontally during a WP mission

• Range: 0 2000
  • Increment: 50
  • Units: cm/s
These are the RTL parameters:

Warning:
In RTL mode the flight controller uses a barometer which measures air pressure as the primary means for determining altitude (“Pressure Altitude”) and if the air pressure is changing in your flight area, the copter will follow the air pressure change rather than actual altitude (unless you are within 20 feet of the ground and have SONAR installed and enabled).

Options (User Adjustable Parameters)
  • RTL_ALT: The minimum altitude the copter will move to before returning to launch.
    • Set to zero to return at the current altitude.
    • The return altitude can be set from 1 to 8000 centimeters.
    • The default return altitude Default is 15 meters (1500)
  • RTL_ALT_FINAL: The altitude the copter will move to at the final stage of “Returning to Launch” or after completing a Mission.
    • Set to zero to automatically land the copter.
    • The final return altitude may be adjusted from 0 to 1000 centimeters.
  • RTL_LOIT_TIME: Time in milliseconds to loiter above the “Home” position before beginning final descent.
    • The “Loiter” time may be adjusted from 0 to 60,000 milliseconds.
  • WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR: Sets how the autopilot controls the “Yaw” during Missions and RTL.
    • 0 = Never change Yaw.
    • 1 = Face Next Waypoint including facing home during RTL.
    • 2 = Face Next Waypoint except for RTL (i.e. during RTL vehicle will remain pointed at it’s last heading)
  • LAND_SPEED: The descent speed for the final stage of landing in centimeters per second.
    • The landing speed is adjustable from 20 to 200 centimeters per second.

Thanks Raybro. Any idea what .conf or other file these settings are stored and managed in? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks Raybro. Any idea what .conf or other file these settings are stored and managed in? I can't seem to find anything.

You can use Tower to set the parameters.

I have searched for these in the filesystem on the drone but had no luck finding where they are stored. If anyone knows, please tell me!

If you use tower to plan missions, I'm not sure if this setting will get changed. Like I stated earlier, it's not really an option in the RTL settings.

Anybody know how to increase the RTH speed. It seems to be set at 21 mph. And my speed setting is on fastest. Im looking for a config file hack.
Actually, there is a setting for that in parameters that can be set in Tower. The parameter name is RTL_SPEED. I have not changed that setting on my bird. The speed in my parameters currently is 1000 which I assume is in cm/second.

I'm sure if just using Tower, you can modify this setting. What I do not know is if changing the speed setting in the Solo App will overwrite this RTL (RTH) parameter with a new value - it probably will.

I'll check in a few moments...

Actually, there is a setting for that in parameters that can be set in Tower. The parameter name is RTL_SPEED. I have not changed that setting on my bird. The speed in my parameters currently is 1000 which I assume is in cm/second.

I'm sure if just using Tower, you can modify this setting. What I do not know is if changing the speed setting in the Solo App will overwrite this RTL (RTH) parameter with a new value - it probably will.

I'll check in a few moments...
I just checked and the RTL_SPEED parameter is NOT overwritten by the Performance Settings in the Solo App.

Cool - thanks KRVer. Does anyone have any idea what the power consumption over RPMs performance curve looks like for Solo? Im trying to figure out if the ~22mph setting for RTL is power optimized, or is it set for another reason or just random. I landed my bird last night with 2% battery left and I sure would have preferred to have it back home quicker. It was an anxious 2 minutes wondering if it was going to make it.

I'm new to Tower - actually just installed it this evening. I can't seem to find these settings anywhere.

I'm new to Tower - actually just installed it this evening. I can't seem to find these settings anywhere.
With the quad and controller on, connect in tower via wifi. Go to parameters from menu on left. The parameters currently stored on the bird will download to tower. Search on "speed" and you'll see RTL_SPEED. After changing, you'll need to upload or save (forget which terminology is used). Be extremely careful when modifying parameters - you can create some bad/unexpected behavior if you change the wrong things. 3DR will not honor warranty if Solo does something bad because of changed parameters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44