Range test

Men, sorry that you lost your bird. But i always said that the first thing to upgrade, i would have to be the flying time, it needs to be increase dramatically, because right now thats the only restrictions that the Solo have, then work on increasing your range. What's the point to go far and then can't comeback.

Soooo Sorry to hear , But you can trace ii's last ping back and get with in 1000 Ft. of it's landing.

Also not suppose to use those High output wifi cards in the Solo craft either just one in the controller.It can cause a brown out and cause your motors to stop mid air.Just a suggestion.

Also not suppose to use those High output wifi cards in the Solo craft either just one in the controller.It can cause a brown out and cause your motors to stop mid air.Just a suggestion.
If you only use one in the controller it won't link with the solo. Also I'm pretty sure the cards have the same exact power draw so battery life would be the same.

not correct I have just one in my controller.and they draw more power.There is a whole discussion about this in one of the threads.I took the one out of my solo and sold it to a guy for his controller.

not correct I have just one in my controller.and they draw more power.There is a whole discussion about this in one of the threads.I took the one out of my solo and sold it to a guy for his controller.
Is the performance around the same?

Never heard that one, I'll look into it.

Sadly she didn't return all the way to take off point. Made an emergency landing about 1400' from me in a slightly wooded area, never to be found again it seems. Total lost - Solo with MikroTik wifi card, 2 month old gimbal, and new Gopro 4 black with 64gb card. DO NOT attempt this range unless you have a clear field (In case of emergency landing) and gimbal off of bird.
Bummer, what's the lesson? Did you not consider the direction of the wind or not have a full flight battery? Sorry for your loss :(

Reactions: firerob49
Never heard that one before, i have both cards and my solo is working fine. 17 mins flight time, batteries are old and have about 300 cicles. Time to get new batteries.

Bummer, what's the lesson? Did you not consider the direction of the wind or not have a full flight battery? Sorry for your loss :(
Solo had a full battery on takeoff. It seems there was a headwind I didn't account for because the battery was depleting at a faster rate when returning.

Originally, I thought you landed Solo 1400 feet away, and picked it up.

I would try walking through the area with a video camera. These black birds aren't easy to see...

UPDATE..SOLO FOUND!! Thanks to westcoasta88 for the info on Solex having the vehicle finder. I was able to use Solex and find the bird and I can say that it's EXTREMELY accurate in recording the last known landing location. I parked the car, walked a few feet while following the gps and found the Solo in less than 2 minutes. WOW! IF Anyone loses their Solo I highly recommend Solex's vehicle finder. I had already ordered another Solo before I found this one so I guess I'll have a backup [emoji41]

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice video. I remember the gimbal going limp to save battery. That was the point I freaked out and realized I was in trouble haha

Reactions: Rex Barlow
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
If you don't mind, I'd be interested if you could run through any consideratons you
made before making this test flight, and any lessons you learnt?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Never heard that one before, i have both cards and my solo is working fine. 17 mins flight time, batteries are old and have about 300 cicles. Time to get new batteries.

i found the email i mentioned, this was September last year from currentuas.com who sold me the cards. i wanted 4 cards for two solos, but they suggested only two, so I doubt they are making this up so they can loose money :)

"Hello Damien, the cards are plug n play no wiring needed, also we only use one mikrotek card on the remote controller and leave the 3dr wifi card in the aircraft. After extensive testing with these upgrade cards we found the card in the aircraft burns out the IMX6 and will lose live view streem. The upgrade cards run at 800 mA and the aircraft will not perform properly when pushing the limit of the medium flight rate. We have reached 5000 ft range with the one card in the remote and the system performs much better especially when the outside temp. is above 90 deg...."

So you're saying you've had the wifi cards in both and never had a problem in 300 flights? How long have you had them installed? I got mine about a month ago and no issues.......yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986