Question regarding Part 107 requirements

Reaction score
With fall sports seasons starting up, I plan to fly my drone in the open fields while my daughter is at cheer practice. This made me think of a question.

If I were to get footage (with permission from any parents of course) to create a fun montage of the season, would I be required to have a part 107 license if I didn't sell any of it. I was considering doing this and if it turns out well, giving a copy to any parents that want one, but I wouldn't charge for any of it.

All of this is of course assuming I had permission from the parents, coaches, etc. and could safely get the footage without flying over anybody.

you should be fine if none of the people you give it to monetize it or use it to promote a business entity even if its a non profit
So long as its just for family viewing

The FAA defines commercial operations as pretty much everything not done for pleasure. Even if you volunteer your time to fly your copter looking for a lost neighborhood child they consider it commercial ops. That being said, if you don't upset anyone and don't charge for the video you will be fine.

Okay, thank you for the help.

I've debated getting my 107 license just in case I ever decide to try to make any money flying, but I only got into the hobby about 1 month ago, so haven't had much time to really investigate or consider it.

I recommend you study for and earn you Part 107 UAS Operator Certificate. It is not too challenging and a nice life accomplishment. The only downside is if you do something stupid and someone gets hurt they can more easily throw the book at you. There is no claiming ignorance on proper conduct.
Does make for good party conversation though!

I recommend you study for and earn you Part 107 UAS Operator Certificate. It is not too challenging and a nice life accomplishment. The only downside is if you do something stupid and someone gets hurt they can more easily throw the book at you. There is no claiming ignorance on proper conduct.
Does make for good party conversation though!

But I like claiming ignorance on proper conduct. I probably will at some point. I'm a freelance web developer, so it's not a stretch to think that I will want to use video or pictures from my solo on a website at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc