Props after crash

Reaction score
So, I took out my Solo for it's second test flight. Actually, it was more like it's first real test, since it's maiden flight consisted of manual takeoff to about five feet, and just making sure all the controls responded properly.

In any event, everything went quite well, and I am thoroughly impressed with Solo's stability and responsiveness. And I got an (unintentional) opportunity to test some of it's automatic safety features as I managed to clip the ground with one of the legs, which flipped the Solo onto its back. Just as I had hoped, the engines cut off right away.

However, one of the props had broken off—right at the base of the hub, in fact.

I'd like to ask the opinion of those around here: after a crash, do you tend to re-use props?

I mean, sure they can be cleaned up and rebalanced. But even if they look fine to the naked eye, is it generally good practice to simply consider all remaining props to damaged, and taken out of service?

So, I took out my Solo for it's second test flight. Actually, it was more like it's first real test, since it's maiden flight consisted of manual takeoff to about five feet, and just making sure all the controls responded properly.

In any event, everything went quite well, and I am thoroughly impressed with Solo's stability and responsiveness. And I got an (unintentional) opportunity to test some of it's automatic safety features as I managed to clip the ground with one of the legs, which flipped the Solo onto its back. Just as I had hoped, the engines cut off right away.

I'd like to ask the opinion of those around here: after a crash, do you tend to re-use props?

I mean, sure they can be cleaned up and rebalanced. But even if they look fine to the naked eye, is it generally good practice to simply consider all remaining props to damaged, and taken out of service?
I haven't had any major crashes on the Solo, but I've certainly had my fair share of them on drones over the years.

It depends on the crash. Flip over on some soft grass, and for sure I would reuse the props. But if pavement, rocks, sticks or branches are involved, I would carefully inspect each prop before re-using it. Its easier to just replace them and not worry about it. Even when you don't see any scratches on a prop, I worry that they might be slightly bent. It can be hard to tell.

Reactions: Maddog

Iv had my Solo for about 3 months..and never had a crash..so far!
Bu I had a ghost flip with my Solo when I was trying land once.. It flipped right on it's back in the grass...Mottors stopped .!
Dust off the props..no damage or nicks..rebalance and still using them today with no problems!!
So i thinks it's under discretion ..if you see anything like deep scratches ..chipped or cracks.. Specially around the Hub..then I would not recommend using them!

Just my though.

Reactions: Maddog
Erik, Del--thanks.

It was a flip on a grassy field (which was further softened by rain the previous night), so I couldn't have asked for a more forgiving surface.

The remaining props cleaned up nicely, and I can't detect any scratches or nicks along the edges or the surface of the blades, either visually or via feel.

Guess I'll balance them and press them back into service and test them out.

Reactions: Del
When I unfortunately was trying to be too smart , I clipped a wall at 3 ft altitude & flipped & destroyed two props ! For the cost involved I bought a couple spare sets.
My further question is that my Solo did not cut out. Is there a setting /default to cut the motors automatically in the event of a flip ? I now know that A + B + Pause buttons held simultaneously will cut the motors.

Re damaged props after crash, I haven't crashed Solo yet, touch wood but previous experience you really don't know what stress has taken place at the moment of impact, if it is enough to throw it off balance then I would throw it, You have a pretty expensive machine up there and to be flying with a prop that has doubt, that could let go and cause more damage to your pride and joy I don't think is worth the risk, and how would you feel if a blade was to let go and strike a friend or even yourself. It's a risk but there could be a minute crack across the hub, your choice. Cheers, John.

Reactions: erikgraham
Re damaged props after crash, I haven't crashed Solo yet, touch wood but previous experience you really don't know what stress has taken place at the moment of impact, if it is enough to throw it off balance then I would throw it, You have a pretty expensive machine up there and to be flying with a prop that has doubt, that could let go and cause more damage to your pride and joy I don't think is worth the risk, and how would you feel if a blade was to let go and strike a friend or even yourself. It's a risk but there could be a minute crack across the hub, your choice. Cheers, John.
I have to kind of agree. If one of the props broke at the hub, then it's reasonable to assume there was enough force to bend one of the other props. If the OP lines all his props up on a flat surface and looks through them from the side, all of them should all appear to have the same shape. It's not a perfect check as the human eye is not a machine, but if you're running low on props it's worth checking.

Edit: line up props that have same clockwise or counterclockwise orientation.

Reactions: John hill
I have to kind of agree. If one of the props broke at the hub, then it's reasonable to assume there was enough force to bend one of the other props. If the OP lines all his props up on a flat surface and looks through them from the side, all of them should all appear to have the same shape. It's not a perfect check as the human eye is not a machine, but if you're running low on props it's worth checking.

Edit: line up props that have same clockwise or counterclockwise orientation.
Yes its not worth the risk, I have witnessed a blade coming apart in flight, it stuffed the Machine but fortunately didn't hit anyone, but the blade traveled quite a distance and embedded itself in the ground so it was moving at quite a speed.

Yes its not worth the risk, I have witnessed a blade coming apart in flight, it stuffed the Machine but fortunately didn't hit anyone, but the blade traveled quite a distance and embedded itself in the ground so it was moving at quite a speed.
Interesting.

Now I'm curious to know not just about after crashes, but is there any particular amount of hours you would use a set of rotors before "retiring" them?

I imagine just the stress of normal flight would eventually take its toll and create stress fractures and such.

Reactions: John hill
Interesting.

Now I'm curious to know not just about after crashes, but is there any particular amount of hours you would use a set of rotors before "retiring" them?

I imagine just the stress of normal flight would eventually take its toll and create stress fractures and such.
Hi Voight, if you went into it and did checks like xraying the props I dare say that after a considerable amount of hours yes the props possibly should get changed, bear in mind that there not made to the stringent specs a full size helicopter or aircraft blade would be, but are mass produced and on an average with Model flying something happens beforehand forcing the replacement, but if you kept a log book on your flying hours you would be surprised at the low amount of hours the average person does, but your thinking is very logical, cheers, John.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig