Proposed new FAA rules for UAV's

Looks great to me I wish drivers had to retake the test every two years. I assume that those under 17 would be fine if they were with an "operator". Agree and totally see why it has to be above 17 but kinda sucks for young folks that actually are responsible and deserve to join the hobby earlier. I can see my kids dragging me out of bed to go out, they already rarely sleep past 6 as is. Really nothing that's an issue at all I knew long range fpv was going to be out the window, even though I have fat sharks I've held back from it, seeing this coming soon figured this way I won't know what I'm missing.

Class B,C and E. Are those current levels of airspace or new ones?
'A' is 18,000 and up to 60,000
'B' Bravo airspace is the busiest airspace of all.. such SFO terminal area - up to 10,000 MSL.
'C' Charlie airspace is the next busiest, such as PDX Portland Oregon
'D' Small towered controlled Airport
'E' Echo airspace is the controlled airspace where most light aircraft fly, usually 1500 AGL and up to 17,999 and then again above 60,000
'G' is uncontrolled and is usually from the ground up to 14,400, with tons of exceptions.

'A' is 18,000 and up to 60,000
'B' Bravo airspace is the busiest airspace of all.. such SFO terminal area - up to 10,000 MSL.
'C' Charlie airspace is the next busiest, such as PDX Portland Oregon
'D' Small towered controlled Airport
'E' Echo airspace is the controlled airspace where most light aircraft fly, usually 1500 AGL and up to 17,999 and then again above 60,000
'G' is uncontrolled and is usually from the ground up to 14,400, with tons of exceptions.

So the recommendation is G up to 500ft?

I think the FAA will limit the ALT to 400 AGL - and must be operated line of site..

Class G can be confusing, some smaller airports are both class E & G, relative to flying altitudes, and many towered airports that close at night are class D during operating hours but Class E or G after hours.. It can be confusing..

Class G is where you want to be, as long as it's away from an airport, even small airports.. I'm sure you already know that...

If you know of a local airport, you might drop in and ask for an expired VFR map. They are only good/legal for a couple months but it will show you all the Airspace around your area/region.. Or buy one, they like $6 or $8..

There are also aviation apps that will show you airspace - I use FOREFlight but that one is subscription based.. Find a free one, there are many..

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Wouldn't most of us be considered flying "Model Aircraft" as mentioned at the end?
"Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95."

that law is listed on page 67 of this PDF http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf.

and it basically exempts recreational flight like it is now. So the proposed rules are only for commercial flight.

Wouldn't most of us be considered flying "Model Aircraft" as mentioned at the end?
"Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95."

that law is listed on page 67 of this PDF http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf.

and it basically exempts recreational flight like it is now. So the proposed rules are only for commercial flight.

Proposed rule would not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the Model Aircraft criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95.  The proposed rule would codify the FAA’s enforcement authority in part 101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering the safety of the NAS.

SEC. 335. SAFETY STUDIES.

The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall

carry out all safety studies necessary to support the integration

of unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace system.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law

relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into

Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this

subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration

may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model

aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational

use;

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased

set of safety guidelines and within the programming

of a nationwide community-based organization;

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds

unless otherwise certified through a design, construction,

inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered

by a community-based organization;

(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not

interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator

of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport

air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located

at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft

operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of

an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating

procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic

control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the

airport)).

(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall

be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue

enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who

endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model

aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating

the aircraft; and

(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

LOOKS LIKE HOBBYISTS REMAIN UNAFFECTED:)

Become an AMA Member

Last edited:

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;
Become an AMA Member

Or a member of any other nationwide community-based organization with a set of safety guidelines...Maybe a drone-racing organization will work....shoot, Might need to start a new drone-pilots organization.

Last edited:
Here they come...

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

Not so bad really. Like what I am seeing. In my mind, taking a test is a good thing. Keeps the riff raff down. I don't see any other choice for them.

As you may know, they came out with this many months ago. Who knows what kinds of changes they'll make when they finalize these rules. At the rate the number of drones in operation will far exceed their ability to monitor not to mention enforce any rules.

Perhaps that's why: The FAA is encouraging the public to report unauthorized drone operations to local law enforcement. They recognize the position they're in.

As you may know, they came out with this many months ago. Who knows what kinds of changes they'll make when they finalize these rules. At the rate the number of drones in operation will far exceed their ability to monitor not to mention enforce any rules.

Perhaps that's why: The FAA is encouraging the public to report unauthorized drone operations to local law enforcement. They recognize the position they're in.
Nothing local LEOs (like me) can do. We can't enforce FAA laws or rules. It would have to be a violation of local laws only.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44