Power Tether for the 3DR Solo

Reaction score
I want to learn how make tether for our solo drone, I check one that sell Power Tether for the 3DR Solo over 1000 dollars ouch. I believe we can make homemade tether. what is your suggest for me to make ones?

18AWG super-fine strand silicone jacketed wire (it has to be light but able to carry ~800w peak).

400Hz/120v or greater inverter.

lightweight but heavy duty fast schottky bridge.

Small reserve battery. And a somewhat massive filtering cap.

18AWG super-fine strand silicone jacketed wire (it has to be light but able to carry ~800w peak).

400Hz/120v or greater inverter.

lightweight but heavy duty fast schottky bridge.

Small reserve battery. And a somewhat massive filtering cap.
hi.. just_bruce... can u draw the draft so it gives me idea how to make ones.

These are the major components you would need for a tether for the Solo:

Hi voltage, high power DC power supply.
NEW 500W 300V DC Output Regulated Switching Power Supply CNC WITH CE | eBay

Small diameter, light weight hi voltage coax cable of appropriate length, RG-316 is 1.2#/100' 1200V max.
RG316 Cable | 50 Ohm High Temperature Coax
RG 316 50-OHMS COAX HARBOUR TEFLON INSULATION MADE IN USA. 150 ft. 1-LENGTH | eBay

300V input, 15V output 400W DC-DC converter.
VICOR V300A15E400BG DC TO DC CONVERTER 15V 400W OUTPUT NEW - Free Shipping | eBay

In addition a good heatsink, and several large capacitors, switches, fuses, etc. would be needed.

The Solo would NOT be able to do any kind of fast or aerobatic flights and the payload would be severely restricted. (as in almost none)

These are the major components you would need for a tether for the Solo:

Hi voltage, high power DC power supply.
NEW 500W 300V DC Output Regulated Switching Power Supply CNC WITH CE | eBay

Small diameter, light weight hi voltage coax cable of appropriate length, RG-316 is 1.2#/100' 1200V max.
RG316 Cable | 50 Ohm High Temperature Coax
RG 316 50-OHMS COAX HARBOUR TEFLON INSULATION MADE IN USA. 150 ft. 1-LENGTH | eBay

300V input, 15V output 400W DC-DC converter.
VICOR V300A15E400BG DC TO DC CONVERTER 15V 400W OUTPUT NEW - Free Shipping | eBay

In addition a good heatsink, and several large capacitors, switches, fuses, etc. would be needed.

The Solo would NOT be able to do any kind of fast or aerobatic flights and the payload would be severely restricted. (as in almost none)
I wont while cable hooked to solo! I will use it during high school football games... etc.. .

sound like little complicate for me .. can I send you to check my draw to make it sure it will work? why do u think I need large capacitors?

otherwise thank you for this ones..

R~

You need large caps to handle the instantaneous transients that the ESC/motors will draw. You will need them on both the 300V input and the 15V output. Unfortunately they need to be located at the Solo. Since the Solo can draw up to 50Amps, peak, this solution will also need testing to determine it's limits.

Be careful flying over crowds, have the proper certs, permissions, and most of all, enough insurance.

I have toyed with the idea of building a tethered solo system ever since one was shown at CES. Never got the time, but it shouldn't be too complicated. Lots of fiddly bits though. The deevel is in the details and my idea may be a total pile of crap.

Out of curiousity, why are you suggesting a 300V*DC* input source? The voltage drop is going to be tremendous on that under load, which isn't something you want...

120/400Hz would seem to me to be the way to go, not only from the current handling cap of the conductors but from an efficiency standpoint as well, not to mention less likely to interfere with radios and computers.

Was thinking that a Tesla style wireless ground station would be much cooler than a tether. Lots of new homes are coming with wireless electricity (Wi-Tricity) pre-installed.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Or maybe a high efficiency Solar Skin wrap. Trickle-charging during flight might extend Solo's run time by a few minutes at least. As solar tech improves maybe longer.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
Has anyone done this? I too would like to create my own tether system.

This website is a bit of a mess but has some interesting ideas for potentially powering a drone using RF:

I wonder if it would be easier to make a tethered balloon (similar to the car dealer type) or barrage blimp, but with a Pixhawk guidance system? I followed the progress of this project but I don't think the developer is going to continue making them:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela