orbit

Reaction score
hello guys

how to to use orbit without data like adjusting the radius, altitude etc using stick only? do you have any tutorial guide how to do it?

thanks

Altitude: throttle stick. Orbit Radius: elevator stick; tighter radius forward wider radius backward. Orbit left or right: aileron stick left or right

Reactions: Toiletbowl
I tried to use orbit the other day on a tablet with no data and it was being stupid.. Just spinning in place.. Had to do it myself with no smart shot.. Guess I need to mess around with this more.

Point camera straight down 90 degrees.
Fly over and frame your object in center of screen
Press A button to set orbit point.
Use left sticks as mentioned above to change altitude or change circle radius. Solo will stay locked on target.
Start automated shot or fly orbit track manually using the right stick.

I tried to use orbit the other day on a tablet with no data and it was being stupid.. Just spinning in place.. Had to do it myself with no smart shot.. Guess I need to mess around with this more.
Hello Prowler,
I used Orbit yesterday with Data turnoff "Ipad Air" & Orbit was perfect...
Don't think you need Data to Orbit.
"Follow me" may require Data? Im sure someone will chime in with the correct answer.

Reactions: prowler9
No, follow me just uses the devices gps. The devices GPS coords are pulled in through the app and then the position relayed to Solo via the wifi.

If it is spinning in place during orbit it could be that you are directly over your subject and need to create a wider orbit radius.

No, follow me just uses the devices gps. The devices GPS coords are pulled in through the app and then the position relayed to Solo via the wifi.
OK.
Please tell me witch of the smart shots require date also?
or is data just a convenience to receive map data while out in the field ?
I have a dedicated Ipad for video feed, just turned on data with At&t, if not needed "Data connection" then i will cancel with provider.

Thanks again Steve

Its really only a convenience exactly as you said. None of the smartshots require data, where "data" is an internet connection to receive satellite maps in the solo app. They are only a visual aid and you'll still see the blank map, but the map is not needed anyway as you can frame everything without it. Even if you go into map view without data, it will still show 1) Solos Home/Takeoff location, 2) Solos current location, 3) Solos direction/heading. All plenty useful information.

Using the method for orbit that I mentioned above is more accurate than using the satellite map anyway since most of the satellite imagery isn't from 90degrees straight above what you are trying to orbit, so it's off most of the time. If you use the quads actual position when it is directly above the subject to set the orbit point it will be perfect every time. Also, that method works for things that aren't on the map. Like you or your car on the beach or some house that was built since the last satellite imagery was available.

The follow type smart shots require the device being followed to have GPS, but that is not the same as data/internet connection, which again isn't needed.

Reactions: Benzo and SteveReno
Its really only a convenience exactly as you said. None of the smartshots require data, where "data" is an internet connection to receive satellite maps in the solo app. They are only a visual aid and you'll still see the blank map, but the map is not needed anyway as you can frame everything without it. Even if you go into map view without data, it will still show 1) Solos Home/Takeoff location, 2) Solos current location, 3) Solos direction/heading. All plenty useful information.

Using the method for orbit that I mentioned above is more accurate than using the satellite map anyway since most of the satellite imagery isn't from 90degrees straight above what you are trying to orbit, so it's off most of the time. If you use the quads actual position when it is directly above the subject to set the orbit point it will be perfect every time. Also, that method works for things that aren't on the map. Like you or your car on the beach or some house that was built since the last satellite imagery was available.

The follow type smart shots require the device being followed to have GPS, but that is not the same as data/internet connection, which again isn't needed.
I understand better now.
I think your way of setting up a Orbit is better then what ever else i read.
What i like to try is "Orbit + Follow me"
Seen this once on UT, it was GREAT!
Any suggestions? setup Orbit first, then adjust height + distance, then start Follow me? Wanting to try this at the Beach this weekend.

I actually haven't done that, but from what I understand the orbit in that scenario is just an additional feature of follow me.
The user guide for the Follow Me section describes:
When Follow mode is active, Solo automatically follows the mobile device wherever the subject carries it. In the App, the subject can orbit Solo around them by pressing the Orbit Left and Orbit Right arrows. On the Controller, adjust the follow distance by moving the right stick vertically, and orbit the subject by moving the right stick horizontally. To adjust Solo’s altitude during Follow, move the left stick vertically. And to override the camera tracking and temporarily pan the camera, move the left stick horizontally. To stop Solo during Follow, press Pause on the controller; the camera continues to track the subject. To exit to standard flight, press Fly.
User Manual | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buildnfly