Non Commercial Editorial/Art/Film Usage - Should I worry about FAA exemption requirements?

Reaction score
My question is regarding commercial interpretation by FAA. I plan on using my SOLO for artistic, non commissioned short films. Is it reasonable to assume that barring any violations or inappropriate usage of the drone, I shouldn't have to worry about 333 exemption or getting fined by the FAA?

The reason I ask is because my commercial photography work is, well, commercial and my personal editorial work is just for artistic expression (and non commissioned). It's pretty straight forward. If I post a video on my blog or site, non monetized like youtube (but using vimeo for example), does that help me avoid any grey area with the FAA rules on commercial usage?

Also, if I do decide to shoot a video (and plan on using drone footage) do I need a 333 Exemption, or do I just sub contract 333 Exempt Pilots approved for commercial flight?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex

If you shoot video with a drone and somebody puts money in your pocket for it, you need the exemption. That's it!

Reactions: Doug Benson
It was my understanding that currently there is no commercial restriction, but it is coming. Am I wrong about that?

It was my understanding that currently there is no commercial restriction, but it is coming. Am I wrong about that?
Currently, you cannot use a drone for commercial purposes unless you have a "333" exemption from the FAA.

What's coming, we expect, will be the FAA dropping the requirement that a licensed pilot fly the drone under the 333 exemption.

My question is regarding commercial interpretation by FAA. I plan on using my SOLO for artistic, non commissioned short films. Is it reasonable to assume that barring any violations or inappropriate usage of the drone, I shouldn't have to worry about 333 exemption or getting fined by the FAA?

The reason I ask is because my commercial photography work is, well, commercial and my personal editorial work is just for artistic expression (and non commissioned). It's pretty straight forward. If I post a video on my blog or site, non monetized like youtube (but using vimeo for example), does that help me avoid any grey area with the FAA rules on commercial usage?

Also, if I do decide to shoot a video (and plan on using drone footage) do I need a 333 Exemption, or do I just sub contract 333 Exempt Pilots approved for commercial flight?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex
If your videos are for personal enjoyment you are fine. If they are used as an adjunct or to advertise your commercial services, you could be fined. Highly unlikely you would be fined however.

Look up CFR 14 Part 61 - Commercial Pilot

Basically if you want to fly an aircraft in national airspace you must hold a Private Pilot License a a meet all the requirements prescribed in Part 61.

If you want to fly an aircraft in national airspace and will receive compensation then you need a Commercial Pilot rating

Regardless of aircraft - Drone, fixed wing, rotor - if you're flying and getting paid you need a commercial rating ... OR 333 Exemption which still requires a Private Pilot license. The FAA is holding drone pilots the same standards as "real" aircraft - for now

So ... As a photographer I get paid to photograph with my camera. I give away the aerial shots as I am unable to charge for this service. Some may find this adds value to a photography service... I call it a customer appreciation

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Benson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44