New Solo mod or no

Reaction score
Website
gunslingersgulch.com
New to the Solo..been watching vids and reading here trying to get all the info I can..so the question for the ages..I know there are alot of mods out there...but I also see some of you guys with multiples running basically stock Solos...fly it and leave it be...or are there mods that simply must be done? or is that a case by case deal..Thanks for any input fellers.

New to the Solo..been watching vids and reading here trying to get all the info I can..so the question for the ages..I know there are alot of mods out there...but I also see some of you guys with multiples running basically stock Solos...fly it and leave it be...or are there mods that simply must be done? or is that a case by case deal..Thanks for any input fellers.
A good place to start would be here. Lots of good reading on the subject..

Reactions: brushhippie
Must be done? I don't think so. Good idea to do? Maybe. It will fly out of the box with no mods/upgrades. If you want to eek out additional performance, there are things you can do, but I'd suggest running it stock and see what is deficient to your needs and go from there. Check Jubalr's link as a starting point.

The only mod I feel is required is the GPS " cardboard" mod, although I use a 3D printed spacer instead of cardboard.
I do plan on flying one FCF ( functional check flight) totally stock just to be sure she works before disassembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$20 pair of ALFA antennae. Best and biggest bang for the bucks. (See sticky thread on Antennas).

Custom feet. The stock ones are okay but I say the taller and wider the better to handle variable ground conditions.

Protective clear lens cap for gopro.

Experiment with stock gps module and shield at multiple locations before buying custom module. I personally think the stock Rev B with 3dr V2 shield works great. No need to buy upgrade gps module unless you are having clear problem ie not locking enough satellites to fly in 1 to 4 minutes.

Extra lighting. One of my biggest challenges is keeping proper orientation of the craft at distance and in bad light conditions. The first thing I bought for solo was high powered light system and so glad I did. Some of the options include $29.95 Polar Pro kit which plugs into solo power, lights with their own batteries, or custom kit like the one recently advertised by MDog in the Classifieds.

$20 pair of ALFA antennae. Best and biggest bang for the bucks. (See sticky thread on Antennas).

Custom feet. The stock ones are okay but I say the taller and wider the better to handle variable ground conditions.

Protective clear lens cap for gopro.

Experiment with stock gps module and shield at multiple locations before buying custom module. I personally think the stock Rev B with 3dr V2 shield works great. No need to buy upgrade gps module unless you are having clear problem ie not locking enough satellites to fly in 1 to 4 minutes.

Extra lighting. One of my biggest challenges is keeping proper orientation of the craft at distance and in bad light conditions. The first thing I bought for solo was high powered light system and so glad I did. Some of the options include $29.95 Polar Pro kit which plugs into solo power, lights with their own batteries, or custom kit like the one recently advertised by MDog in the Classifieds.
Stuck a "GoPro Floatie" on rear of SOLO - Bright Orange - Can be seen from a distance PLUS this will not use : ANY Battery Power!

Thanks for the input guys...found gopro 3+ on fleabay...almost there...did the cardboard mod when I installed the gimble 1 down. Once the cam gets here we will be ready to fly.

What's nice about the Solo is all the info on this site and on Youtube and how easy they are to work on and do add ones.

I bought the MRobotics GPS board after one flight on a stock Solo. I waited forever for Solo to find sats so I could fly the damn thing. I also lost GPS constantly, not fun. As soon as I put the new GPS board in the Solo it found 16 sats in literally 20 secs. An extra $80 bucks for the peace of mind is well worth it to me. I bought the Polar led lights as well as an Asus tablet and moved to Solex which works much better for me over the 3DR app.
I've been flying without any hiccups at all and have gotten fantastic footage. My two cents.

Could not stand it..had to go fly it camera be damned...and after all the hoopla about how hard they are to fly...to this I say BUNK! Got 7 sats right away and it is way overcast...had no problems..I am gonna dig this bird!...come on camera!

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
I actually ordered this thing to film real estate properties...I think just a few more flights to familiarize myself with the modes and I will be ready to get started...I will be needing another battery...and maybe a spare drone...or two...one at least! The deal on ebay for just the stripped drone is cheap enough...hard to resist..

I actually read on a different thread that if you experience a "flyway" while using Solex 3DR won't warranty it. Has anyone else heard this or is it BS? I wasn't able to download the Solo app on my LG Gpad so I resorted to downloading the 2.4.0 version which I hope doesn't give me any issues. I may eventually end up going with Solex but I just need to figure out if it does indeed void the warranty or not.
I bought the MRobotics GPS board after one flight on a stock Solo. I waited forever for Solo to find sats so I could fly the damn thing. I also lost GPS constantly, not fun. As soon as I put the new GPS board in the Solo it found 16 sats in literally 20 secs. An extra $80 bucks for the peace of mind is well worth it to me. I bought the Polar led lights as well as an Asus tablet and moved to Solex which works much better for me over the 3DR app.
I've been flying without any hiccups at all and have gotten fantastic footage. My two cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M