New 3DR Solo User

Reaction score
Sooo, my buddy wants to sell me 2 of these 3DR Solos with lots of extras for $500. I guess my question is, is it still worth buying one (or two) of these given that 3DR has more or less gotten out of the consumer market? I would consider myself pretty technical and enjoy products that give you a decent amount of creative control...which is why I have a Taranis for my RC planes. However, I wont to do much tuning as these drones are updated and tuned in pretty well. Anyhow, here is what he is offering me...is this a good deal?. Ill probably sell one and some of the accessories though for some money for the Toledo RC EXPO =)

2x Solo drones (one custom painted Orange and one stock black)
2x 3DR GoPro 3 axis gimbal mounts (HERO3 or better needed)
2x Controllers
2x 3DR Custom backpacks for carrying UAV and accessories
4x Flight batteries (all fully charge and fly for 25+ mins each)
2x Normal life controller batteries
1x Extended life controller battery
2x Flight battery chargers
2x Controller battery chargers
1x Full spare SOLO Chassis (body) (stock black)
LOTS of spare props (at least 4 full sets) (all fully balanced)
2x full sets of prop guards (one set orange and one black)
1x ITELITE DBS Long Range Antenna and custom 3D printed mount ($112 new, adds insane range!)
1x Do-Bro prop balancer with SOLO thread type shaft

Several different antenna types for the controllers (stock, high dB directional, paddle) are also included
Many 3D printed parts like leg extensions, GoPro Gimbal clip, leg sliders, DBS antenna mount

The original box for both drones and gimbals are here if the purchaser wants them

Thanks

That is an incredible deal. If you don't want it, I'll take it! The batteries will not last 25+ minutes, though - more like 16-18.

Reactions: Jeff0321
Is the Solo still a drone worth investing any money into given its more or less unsupported and 3DR isn't really in the drone game anymore aside from their professional solutions.

Uh - yeah - despite their commercial operations with the same bird, um, they're not supporting it at all. Therefore, you should just tell your friend to call me. Not worth investing in at all...

Clearly being sarcastic, but at the price point, you will get several years of quality flight with minor tinkering. It is a quality built, tough aircraft that still holds its own despite another 1 1/2 years of development by the others in this lightning fast market. Do your homework, check other systems, and go with what you think is best. Just know that if you don't get your friend's kit, I call dibs!

Reactions: Mattiosmaximos
Hi, erwabo. That is a smoking deal. You can't really go wrong with it. If you don't take it, maybe Acroduster and I can arm wrestle for it....;)

It's a great deal but the decision to buy depends on why you want a drone in the 1st place.

You will be able to keep solo flying for years to come- still a pretty good supply of parts and there are 3rd party sources for lots of stuff.

I use Solo in my aerial video business- no need for anything else.

It's a great deal but the decision to buy depends on why you want a drone in the 1st place.

You will be able to keep solo flying for years to come- still a pretty good supply of parts and there are 3rd party sources for lots of stuff.

I use Solo in my aerial video business- no need for anything else.

Speaking of aerial video business, is that still a viable business with the drone saturation? Its something I've been wanting to look into, studying for the Part 107 currently. Are there other avenues other the real estate listing? =)

The Part 107 licensing will separate much of the wheat from the chaff.

The Part 107 licensing will separate much of the wheat from the chaff.

Yeah that's what I hear, but I just wonder what type of real opportunities there are. I'm guessing it would require a better camera than a GoPro for anything on the commercial side like surveys, topography, utilities etc.

For those who have taken it......how hard was the part 107 test? Did you have to do a lot of studying....or was it pretty common sense stuff?

Yeah that's what I hear, but I just wonder what type of real opportunities there are. I'm guessing it would require a better camera than a GoPro for anything on the commercial side like surveys, topography, utilities etc.
There are many opportunities if you think outside the box. Just think of all the ways a drone could replace a ladder, for example.;)

Don't know about using the GoPro for surveys & mapping but the aerial footage in the film "13 Hours" looked as good as a movie camera.

For those who have taken it......how hard was the part 107 test? Did you have to do a lot of studying....or was it pretty common sense stuff?
Common sense stuff? Maybe if you're a pilot. It was written by the FAA to cover stuff that pilots need to know to operate in the national airspace system, with an attempt to make it relevant to drones.

I think it will be difficult for non- pilots without a lot of studying.

Definitely study (lots of studying), unless your a pilot. It was difficult.

Thanks, I was hoping it was just more common sense stuff: "should you fly over crowds? Yes/no" "should you fly around airports? yes/no" Oh well, so much for that! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc