Just What is the Real Issue with the Solo GPS?

Ive also noticed that starting my motors in manual sometimes seems to help, but I just figured maybe it's coincidence. That said I get a lock pretty fast most times anyway.

If I can find a replacement cable for the original GPS I definitely want to try this. I Just don't want to splice my original GPS cable if I want to go back. I will say 3DR has always been mod friendly and I have seen many success stories from this modification so if it improves my Solo, its worth it to me.

I don't know if this will help but it helped me. I was getting like 6 sats for the first few minutes then from 9 to 12 before ready to fly. Sometimes took close to 5 minutes.:rolleyes:
I did this quick easy mod and now I get ready to fly in less than 2 minutes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There are no GPS issues....not since that last firmware update, end of story
You sir are either lucky, lying or an idiot. This expensive paperweight barely ever gets enough satellites to take of unless I'm at the top of a damn hill. I've sat around waiting 20 min or more in the middle of fields. And when you've traveled half way across the world to get some video and you can't even get the damn thing up its a little more then frustrating.

I put the IMP kit in mine the day after I got it. I haven't had to wait more than 2 -3 minutes at a new location to get 7 sats, restarts usually in about 30 seconds or so.

The numbers of available satellites in view is not constant and can go up and down by two or three over several hours.

The M8N is also more susceptible to noise, I know Philip Rowse who's the lead designer of the Pixhawk 2 is adamant it is not a wise update, he's 110% crystal clear on that, both in public and private.

The next firmware update has plenty of fixes in addressing a number of issues from logs people have sent in, so it's worth waiting for that. Given 3DR's past record, if there was a hardware cause found 3DR would sort a fix, most likely for free.

The M8n replacement is a very good choice, There was one spot I used to launch from with a steep hill and trees to the south, that sometimes took 10 minutes to acquire a good fix. After M8n installed usually 1-2 minutes typical 3-4 max.
The replacement is easy as pie. The only problem is the mounting holes do not line up and are bigger than the screw heads. I was able to solve that buying a couple washers. I don't know what Philip Rowse is talking about, or whether he didn't secure the device well, but the part is ~30$ and a 30 minute replacement, and guess what if it doesn't work right for you you can always put the crappy stock one back in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks