Just What is the Real Issue with the Solo GPS?

There are no GPS issues....not since that last firmware update, end of story

or maybe those satelites in outer space not enough to accomodate (first come, first serve) bunch of aerial stuff, planes, handheld gadgets etc etc or maybe depend where you live because i had an experience with my P2 outside my house can lock only 6 sat but if i move 150 meters away i got 10 to 11 sat, what do you think?

I think with the P2 you have to have a minimum of 6 for take off in GPS mode, I don't think they take into consideration the HDOP. With that, it depends on distance between the satellites which create better accuracy and lower HDOP numbers.
Possibly when you are getting 6, it is only seeing those directly above, and when you move it you are seeing those closer to the horizon as well as those above it.

or maybe those satelites in outer space not enough to accomodate (first come, first serve) bunch of aerial stuff, planes, handheld gadgets etc etc or maybe depend where you live because i had an experience with my P2 outside my house can lock only 6 sat but if i move 150 meters away i got 10 to 11 sat, what do you think?

No limits. Gps is just transmitting signals with sat info and clock time stamp. There is no limit to the amount of gps units receiving. Your solo does not connect back. It's no different than 100000 users listening to a radio show.

Reactions: Acroduster
There are no GPS issues....not since that last firmware update, end of story
You got that right Raybro, no issues at all..getting 17-20 sats on quad every launch no matter where I'm at..also 11-15 sats on radio controller for Watch me and Follow Me modes, thanks to GLONAS system and my incredible Yuneec Q5004K

You got that right Raybro, no issues at all..getting 17-20 sats on quad every launch no matter where I'm at..also 11-15 sats on radio controller for Watch me and Follow Me modes, thanks to GLONAS system and my incredible Yuneec Q5004K
and what about your Solo? Did you read Ian's post about the decision 3DR made as to their choice of GPS equipment?
Nobody mentioned Yuneec here.
I get on average 12 to 14 Sats on Solo but the difference is, it's probably using them all.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, there is going to be a warning added to the controller via vibration where if you hit pause and you don't have a good GPS lock the controller will vibrate to let you know it can't pause, albeit if you're in a mode that is more manual than Altitude Hold (which is called Manual) then at least the Solo will switch to that mode, for example if you were flying Acro and hit pause, the Solo would go to fly:manual (AltHold)...

I’m sure the Solo I had contained a faulty GPS Module.
It took over 2 minutes to ARM every battery change, even if I didn’t move it more than a few feet.
Most likely it had either a bad battery or some other cache problem.

When I put in a M8N, it was instantaneous lock on battery swaps, like what a lot of you are saying you already had with your Solos out-of-the-box.......

Steve
Do you have any info on which Ublox M8N module/antenna you installed and how? As a surveyor with literally 10s of GPS and antennas, bad sensitivity is due to crappy antennas and bad insulation. My stock Solo GPS is crap - takes for ever to get gps lock and looses gps lock when i walk past it on the ground. I would love to fix this. Also the Solo app his crap at parsing the GPS from android device while other gps based apps use it just fine.

Cheers
jason

Reactions: Doug Benson
Don't depend on the satellite count alone to mean very much as you are seeing a count of the satellites that can be seen, not the ones that are actually usable...

For those who see long times acquiring a lock every time they change a pack, I wonder if the little battery on the GPS board is faulty as that is supposed to maintain the last satellite locations to speed up the next lock but I recall that in the early days, some of those batteries were found to be dead ...

Reactions: J R
hello i have a question is the solo gps suddenly gone during in the midair in rc there is a button in manual mode?

If Solo loses GPS then it will switch to 'Fly:Manual' mode automatically.

You can also assign 'Fly:Manual' to button A or B if you wish, or indeed any on the other flight modes like Stabilize for example.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
My first flight had what I thought was a GPS issue. It raced into a tree with me having no control. 3DR said everything is within parameters, don't fly around trees. When I loaded the logs into mission planer it said "compass error". Don't know if thats the same error code as for GPS. I have now lost control of my solo 3 times, all in my back yard.... most of the places I fly it holds in about a 2 foot circle maybe less, during hover. It usually lands within 18" of launching spot. I took it to Manzanillo Mexico a few weeks back and it held within 6 inches in hover. I was amazed at how steady it was. So to me its as much environment as the solo.

Side note: 2 of my crashes were me purposely flying the solo under a steel roof and back out several times to watch the behavior in going from manual flight with GPS available (but not being used) to loss of GPS to regaining GPS. I "think" but can not be sure, Is that when GPS is regained it takes it out of manual and puts it in fly and when it is lost again then regains it, it panics and has a 5 second delay before turning it back over to you in manual. It can cover a lot of ground at full speed in 5 seconds.

That said, there is a fix that swaps the GPS chip for one that can also see GLONAS satellites, which doubles what is available and also gives you a powered antenna.

More info on this please? I've never heard mention of an alternative GPS chip for Solo...

More info on this please? I've never heard mention of an alternative GPS chip for Solo...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did this mod last night. I also have never had issues with gps. Always 6-12 sats no matter where I went with lock and ready to fly after about 4 minutes. After mod I have 20 sats locked and ready to fly before the solo is even fully powered up. Literally press the power button and it's locked and ready to fly. Crazy.

Keep in mind, that's just a number, 20 satellites are likely not being used in the lock, this in itself is a little bit dangerous as the Solo passes pre-arm easily than it should in some cases. The number of satellites results in a lower PDOP than possibly is true reflection of the lock quality.

Reactions: J R
Did the M8N mod over 4 months ago. Always have had excellent results, usually 15-20 sats with HDOP's of 1.1, 1.2. Very stable in :FLY mode. I also am very cautious of where I am flying and avoid potential signal distorting places and objects.

Does anyone know whatever happened to SteveMyers 75? He did the "click-mate" cables.

When my GPS takes long to connect, I manually start the motors (left stick to low-right position) and the GPS locks instantaneously!
Why is that?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado