Issues with Latest Firmware Update?

Reaction score
Is anyone having flight issues with the new firmware update? I upgraded the application, Solo, and my GoPro to prepare for the Gimbal. My first flight after updating was the first time I've had any issues. My wife and I were hiking the Appalachian Trail, and I brought Solo to get some shots over the Potomac. I got a good GPS signal, and took off. It started to drift, and then went completely out of control. I tried to land, and even hit the 'pause' button. Solo veered off into the woods, hit brush, and flipped over.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you examined and emailed 3DR the logs?
I did. I actually fired off a ticket right after it happened. They are "receiving a high volume of inquiries", but followed up to ask if there was any damage and to get the serial number. No word on the cause, yet.

I did. I actually fired off a ticket right after it happened. They are "receiving a high volume of inquiries", but followed up to ask if there was any damage and to get the serial number. No word on the cause, yet.
If you like, you can also post them here. There are several here who would be happy to give them a quick analysis.

Is anyone having flight issues with the new firmware update? I upgraded the application, Solo, and my GoPro to prepare for the Gimbal. My first flight after updating was the first time I've had any issues. My wife and I were hiking the Appalachian Trail, and I brought Solo to get some shots over the Potomac. I got a good GPS signal, and took off. It started to drift, and then went completely out of control. I tried to land, and even hit the 'pause' button. Solo veered off into the woods, hit brush, and flipped over.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Sorry to hear that. Post the log and let's see what was going on. For future reference, assign A or B to manual and use that in a similar situation. Reason being is that I assume you were in Fly mode which is flying with the assistance of GPS. When it starts to act on it's own and not responding, hitting pause is not going to do anything as it also requires GPS. Hitting manual will level it where it is and allow you to take over.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Sorry to hear that. Post the log and let's see what was going on. For future reference, assign A or B to manual and use that in a similar situation. Reason being is that I assume you were in Fly mode which is flying with the assistance of GPS. When it starts to act on it's own and not responding, hitting pause is not going to do anything as it also requires GPS. Hitting manual will level it where it is and allow you to take over.

That's my thoughts. Once it got in the woods it lost GPS. Mine did the same once but I was able to get it outside the trees and land.

Sorry to see that. I also agree with assigning A or B to "Fly: Manual" as it's saved me more than once when flying near or under a treeline.

Did you use A+B+PAUSE or did the new auto-shutoff kick in?

This jives with my theory as well. But, I lost control basically right after takeoff. Maybe the firmware upgrade lowered the restraint around how strong the GPS signal has to be? I think waiting for a strong GPS signal is the loudest complaint I've heard.

Good tip on the manual control remote assignment! I'll do that, for sure.

Sorry to see that. I also agree with assigning A or B to "Fly: Manual" as it's saved me more than once when flying near or under a treeline.

Did you use A+B+PAUSE or did the new auto-shutoff kick in?

It must have been the auto-shutoff - I did not use A+B+Pause. Although, I did issue a "land" command (held in home button) at about the 35 second mark; so, that might have triggered the stop when Solo stopped moving?

Before the update... I have had the same type of thing happen 4 times. The first time was a total surprise. The next 3 times I was trying to find out just what was happening. Once under tree cover with spotty GPS. the next two times, I put it in manual and flew under a metal roof, back out, then under again and I lost control as in the controller had no control... I think there is some lag time when it loses GPS before it turns over control and if it regains GPS it can panic. I also think that when in manual and you lose GPS, then regain it, it goes in to fly (not back into manual) and panics because its not where it thinks it should be. My main point is during that time of no control, none of the buttons worked. The sticks had limited affect, slowed it down as long as I held pressure on them to counter the way it wanted to go....

Unless you changed the land (RTH?) setting it would have climbed to 49' and come back before landing

Last edited:
Assigning an A or B button is fine....unless you lost wifi signal between the transmitter and solo....then none of buttons are going to do anything! And it is suppose to RTL...however there are quite a few factors that will not allow RTL (eg magnetic interference, solar flare activity, failure to secure a good GPS lock before departure, etc)

Last edited:
One those dark moments in flying a Drone is when you realize there is a compass problem. This thread situation could be a lot of things firmware included but my general procedure when I fly is to do a Compass Calibration. Before take off it's the first line of defense. A good GPS lock at take off with loss of control in a rural environment with good space weather.... I'd say compass error. Just my 3 cents.

Reactions: Raybro
Assigning an A or B button is fine....unless you lost wifi signal between the transmitter and solo....then none of buttons are going to do anything!
Loss of controller signal will RTL. Loss of controller signal and GPS it will land where it is.

Loss of controller signal will RTL. Loss of controller signal and GPS it will land where it is.
In a perfect world that is what is suppose to happen....but alas things are not yet perfect with the good ole solo! And RTL is assuming you had a good GPS lock before you took off

According to 3DR support, the "cause of the crash was due to a misreadings in the GPS system." After some back and forth, they're sending me replacements for the propellers that were damaged.

That's worthy of them. Hope you don't have other issues. Wonder if you should run your calibrations being away from your normal flying area. (I agree with VideoArch) and yes, program that B button for manual flight to prevent that from happening again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado