Is it now legal to fly UAVs in the Rocky Mtn National Park?

Twd

Reaction score
Back in 2014 there was a temporary ban but the National Park Service released this document and from what I can understand of its dense language flying a UAV is now legal. BUT, comprehension of such documents is not my forte.

I realize I could call someone at one of their HQ's in the area and maybe get an informed answer, but I wonder if any of my fellow Solo users has already thoroughly checked this out.

So as long as you are operating from outside the park, you are good

So as long as you are operating from outside the park, you are good
Exactly. Only the FAA has jurisdiction for airspace, so the NPS can only regulate your activities on the ground.

A local NPS held beach here asked that you call ahead of any planned flights in the area. Maybe you can get permission through the proper channels to launch from within the parks?

Thank's to all for replying.

Being restricted to flying in from a perimeter location is awfully limiting with a big park, where many of the best subjects are deep within. Now to find the loopholes. :cool: (I say that mostly in jest) I wonder if the NPS has jurisdiction over over every square foot of land within a national park? Private residences grandfathered in? Shrines? Graveyards?

Discouraging. With bans by local, state and Fed agencies, private property rights, etc., I assume much of the cool footage we see is shot illegally. Otherwise, I suppose you either make stealth flights in remote areas or fly in circles around your backyard.

Indeed, many of the best aerial subjects are off limits.

I like to scour Google Earth for interesting landscapes and formations that aren't NPS. That gives me plenty of interesting places to go here in New Mexico and I think most places have areas that you haven't discovered yet and would be great for drone video.

I've been lucky enough to find places that have the National Park look but aren't NP's -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank's to all for replying.

Being restricted to flying in from a perimeter location is awfully limiting with a big park, where many of the best subjects are deep within. Now to find the loopholes. :cool: (I say that mostly in jest) I wonder if the NPS has jurisdiction over over every square foot of land within a national park? Private residences grandfathered in? Shrines? Graveyards?

Discouraging. With bans by local, state and Fed agencies, private property rights, etc., I assume much of the cool footage we see is shot illegally. Otherwise, I suppose you either make stealth flights in remote areas or fly in circles around your backyard.
Short answer- yes, the NPS has jurisdiction over every square foot within the park boundaries.
I agree that footage being shot inside nat'l parks was probably obtained by bending the rules. Too bad they are restricted because they offer some awesome scenery. But, I understand why they don't want drones buzzing around.

Two months back, I had asked a Park Ranger in Gateway National Recreation Area here in NJ and she replied that indeed, it was not allowed to fly in the park.

Indeed, many of the best aerial subjects are off limits.

I like to scour Google Earth for interesting landscapes and formations that aren't NPS. That gives me plenty of interesting places to go here in New Mexico and I think most places have areas that you haven't discovered yet and would be great for drone video.

I've been lucky enough to find places that have the National Park look but aren't NP's -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Well done! I was born & raised in Albuquerque but never heard of Carnuel.:confused:

I think we should focus on developing silent motors. Then we could fly anywhere we want as long as no one looks up...

I think we should focus on developing silent motors. Then we could fly anywhere we want as long as no one looks up...
Their is a guy selling a "stealth" mod for Solo on YouTube.
He goes by "The (something) Pilot". I can't remember what the middle word is.

Its not just the sound that goes against the drones. Another major issue is the shadow created, a lot of animals will act differently if they think a predatory bird is in the area.

Peter, "The Basic Pilot", has numerous "gag" videos for the Solo. He's got a great sense of humor.

Reactions: Maddog
Peter, "The Basic Pilot", has numerous "gag" videos for the Solo. He's got a great sense of humor.
That's it! Funny guy for sure. I was gonna try to punk Cosber but he's probably seen it already.

Somebody posted that video in a thread here and several people wanted to know how much he would charge to "mod" their Solo's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc