iPad mini's, etc.

Reaction score
I have an iPad Air 2. Have asked CS about controller mount for Air 2, response was possibly, maybe, don't know, 3rd party, etc. Hate to have to go buy a mini so any suggestions? And, if I do buy an iPad mini for dedicated use with Solo does it make any difference between the #2 and #3 as it seems they both have the same A7. Also have a 6+ but just like the larger display.

Reactions: TaniaGail
I have an iPad Air but though it might get too heavy, even though it's light...
I just bought a iPad mini 3 to dedicate to the solo... 64GB with cellular for $329 on Verizonwireless.com (2 year agreement needed). the iPad Mini 2 is the same price on there site, go figure.

I tried Ipad air on the Phantom and thought the same. Was just too awkward with the weight. So I bought a 8.4" android tablet instead.

Duct tape, zip ties, or Velcro should make it fit.....but it will still likely be awkward

I have been using several different Galaxy Tabs for a couple of years now with Phantom....For the past 10 months I've been using the 7"Tab 4 and it works great..(with sun shade after 10am), my clients can easily hold the Tab and give me image instructions if they like while I fly. I plan on using it with Solo..at my age the 'ole eyes ain't what they used to be so depending on what the graphics look like in the app I may have to try a 10" tab...should know next week as I got my confirmation email fro 3DR today and Solo will ship either tomorrow or the June 8th. Whooooooeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
Reactions: Raybro
I have been using Galaxy Tabs for a couple of years now with Phantom....I have the latest 7"Tab 4 and it works great..( with sun shade after 10am) I plan on using it with Solo..at my age the 'ole eyes ain't what they used to be so depending on what the graphics look like in the app I may have to try a 10" tab...should know next week as I got my confirmation email fro 3DR today and Solo will ship either tomorrow or the June 8th. Whooooooeeeeeeeeeeee
Congratulations! Look forward to your posts.

I have been using several different Galaxy Tabs for a couple of years now with Phantom....For the past 10 months I've been using the 7"Tab 4 and it works great..(with sun shade after 10am), my clients can easily hold the Tab and give me image instructions if they like while I fly. I plan on using it with Solo..at my age the 'ole eyes ain't what they used to be so depending on what the graphics look like in the app I may have to try a 10" tab...should know next week as I got my confirmation email fro 3DR today and Solo will ship either tomorrow or the June 8th. Whooooooeeeeeeeeeeee
Get your solo yet?

Is your sunshade compatible with solo remote and iPad mini?

Mounted the Air 2. Simply elongated the slots to accommodate the Air 2 which also now will accommodate any other larger pad as well. Feels good, not heavy, easy to operate all functions and LOVE the larger display!! Was simple and easy, took about 10 minutes, tops.

Reactions: Raybro
I'm looking at the Tab 4 7" and the Tab 8 Pro. After reading this I may go with the 4 since it is cheaper.

Mounted the Air 2. Simply elongated the slots to accommodate the Air 2 which also now will accommodate any other larger pad as well. Feels good, not heavy, easy to operate all functions and LOVE the larger display!! Was simple and easy, took about 10 minutes, tops.
Did you just drill two more holes an inch down from the other ones?

You can do that and is will work, just be sure to get the holes in the right place. There is a little "give" in the rubber clasps that hold the device so "real close" will work.. I drilled several holes and filed the edges down so it is now an elongated slot that it would be more adjustable in case I decided to get something slightly smaller than the Air2.

You can do that and is will work, just be sure to get the holes in the right place. There is a little "give" in the rubber clasps that hold the device so "real close" will work.. I drilled several holes and filed the edges down so it is now an elongated slot that it would be more adjustable in case I decided to get something slightly smaller than the Air2.
Thank you David,

I have another question when you have time. I am having a problem viewing live footage from my phone when in fly solo mode. I am connected to sololink on wifi but my gopro black 4 doesn't feed my phone the live footage.. My gopro work because I can come back and download video from it.....Thank you for any help.

I had exactly the same problem and am going to send to TS today. Everything looks good but no video. (of course GP has to be set on "video") With props turning at idle and "ready to fly", I have to reboot the iPad, check to make sure wifi is connected, then start app, Fly Solo, and video starts. After that, perfect.Hope this helps, if so we can log an issue.

Regards

David,
What level of live streaming do you get on your iPad? 720p, 1080p? I am still deciding what device to get for my Solo. If it can only stream so much data, I don't need a super HD Tab. Thanks,
Ray

Found my answer in the 3DR spec. sheet. 720p live streaming.....so a Samsung Tab 4 would do the job, and at a cheaper price. That's all I ever record in anyway.

Not sure the street price difference but you might consider the Tab S over the Tab 4.

Besides being 2 1/2 times faster performance more importantly has a brighter AMOLED higher rez display.

I recently upgraded my Samsung S5 phone to an LG G4, been waiting a couple months for it to finally be released. When I went in to Verizon to get it, they were running a promo that allowed me to get the LG G Pad 8.3 LTE for $50. Appears to be plenty quick, and loaded the Solo and Tower app direct from the Play Store, so it must have been on the approval list. Looks like it will fit nicely on the mount too. Can't wait to try it..It will be strictly for the Solo, so I will keep it clean with no other apps on it.

Not sure the street price difference but you might consider the Tab S over the Tab 4.

Besides being 2 1/2 times faster performance more importantly has a brighter AMOLED higher rez display.
I'm a cheapskate when it comes to these things since I've got several iPads laying around that don't get used.
I've already got too much skin in the game and was considering a factory refurbished Tab 8 but was thinking I don't want something that is big and bulky.
Was going to try using my MotoX android phone but I'd have to have a magnifying glass to use it. We'll see how this Tab 4 I ordered works out. I think whatever I use, I'm gonna have to have a hood of some sort.

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to these things since I've got several iPads laying around that don't get used.
I've already got too much skin in the game and was considering a factory refurbished Tab 8 but was thinking I don't want something that is big and bulky.
Was going to try using my MotoX android phone but I'd have to have a magnifying glass to use it. We'll see how this Tab 4 I ordered works out. I think whatever I use, I'm gonna have to have a hood of some sort.
Yea I understand that. I am too much skin in the game on a dedicated Solo setup too.

But I know if its not super bright then its about useless in the daytime. So I spent the extra money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks