Impressions and questions from a first-timer

Reaction score
Just received my Solo yesterday.

Having only played with various quad copter "toys", I have to say, the Solo's build quality and heft are truly surprising. I really wasn't expecting something quite as small and as dense as this.

Anyway, I managed to update the controller and the Solo with the 1.2 update, and everything seems ready for a test flight. However, I've got a few questions. And while this place has some excellent posts that answer some of those questions, it seems more have arisen because of them.

I currently do not own a GoPro. I'm looking at getting one for Xmas. And I also don't have the gimbal and am not interested in getting one—for right now. However, I don't want to sink cash into a "low end" GoPro now, only to discover that I TOTALLY want the gimbal later, and will be stuck with an incompatible camera.

3DR simply says the gimbal has compatibility with Hero3+ and Hero4. But I've been reading conflicting reports that the Hero3+ Silver doesn't really work with the gimbal. But the Hero3+ Black does? What about the Hero4 Silver? Is there something about the "Silver" model line that just doesn't behave properly with the gimbal? Is this just a matter of teething pains, and the community expects all versions of the 3+ and 4 to work properly with the gimbal in the future?

Additionally, is the gimbal the only way to remotely operate the GoPro? So, no matter what version of GoPro used, if it's just sitting in the camera frame, one has to manually start the GoPro recording before takeoff?

Greetings, and welcome. If you use the hard mount that came with Solo you will have to adjust your camera settings, as well as start recording before takeoff. Believe me, when you decide to get a gimbal, and it is fully functional, it will be great. I can't speak about any other cameras, but I have the Hero 3+ Black, and it has never given me a problem. You just need to make sure it is running the latest firmware. Hope this helps a little, and I wish you happy and safe flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks