Image Quality: Phantom3 Vs. GoPro

I'm SOOOO torn right now... I just tested the Solo against a friend's Phantom 2 and there is absolutely NO comparison. The Solo is super smooth and feels dependable. I ordered the DJI-P3P that is being delivered tomorrow afternoon and I have until Sunday to return the Solo to Best Buy. I LOVE the "Orbit" feature on Solo and you could almost do "Orbit" manually the Solo is so responsive. How good is the control on the P3? (guess I'll know by tomorrow night...)

I have shooting scheduled for July and HAVE to use a gimbal so I broke down Monday and ordered the P3. I like the added distance, but feel like I'm giving up creative cinema like "Orbit" would offer.

Can you do a manual "Orbit" with the P3 (better than the jerky P2?)
Is there any realistic estimate to when Gimbals might be readily available for Solo? (like SOON!)
I can't believe that B&H still has ZERO Solo's and they've been available in Best Buy for almost 3 weeks!! Unbelievable... I placed an order on April 14 and 3Dr has completely left B&H hanging.

Missing out on gorgeous shooting days!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'm SOOOO torn right now... I just tested the Solo against a friend's Phantom 2 and there is absolutely NO comparison. The Solo is super smooth and feels dependable. I ordered the DJI-P3P that is being delivered tomorrow afternoon and I have until Sunday to return the Solo to Best Buy. I LOVE the "Orbit" feature on Solo and you could almost do "Orbit" manually the Solo is so responsive. How good is the control on the P3? (guess I'll know by tomorrow night...)

I have shooting scheduled for July and HAVE to use a gimbal so I broke down Monday and ordered the P3. I like the added distance, but feel like I'm giving up creative cinema like "Orbit" would offer.

Can you do a manual "Orbit" with the P3 (better than the jerky P2?)
Is there any realistic estimate to when Gimbals might be readily available for Solo? (like SOON!)
I can't believe that B&H still has ZERO Solo's and they've been available in Best Buy for almost 3 weeks!! Unbelievable... I placed an order on April 14 and 3Dr has completely left B&H hanging.

Missing out on gorgeous shooting days!

The P3 is a huge step up over the P2V+.

You are not going to get any better control (P2 vs P3) except its faster and handles better. You do have adjustments in the controller to adjust the rate and ramp of the sticks which I guess can help. Gimbal tilt and speed is adjustable too.

But as far as manually doing an orbit I would say no improvement. DJI has POI mode which is orbit. They just have not turned it on yet. I would expect their version of cable cam is soon to follow.

I was hesitant to order the P3 and only did when 3DR delayed gimbal again. I was pleasantly surprised with the overall package. The app is way more advanced than the Solo app.

I would not expect a gimbal at your door for 5 more weeks with shipping, etc.

Like i said, in a hard crash even if the solo gimbal survives will not be the same, its just a very sensitive device...

But stay with your opinion... After all the best aerial videos in this aircraft size i saw are from Phantoms and not 3DR ones... I think that says enough for now. ;)

You have no idea how durable the Solo gimble will be, so to have an opinion is, as you say, simply not valid...lol

I can strap a $20,000 camera to the Solo and the P3 video will still be better because it was shot with a gimble. To compare the Solo and the P3 at this point is pointless and "not valid." ;)

OK... crazy thought of the day! I've got a "handheld gimbal" for the GoPro that is awesome... what if I rig it to the GoPro holder on the bottom of the Solo!?!? LOL crazy... and couldn't land without "catching it" but I'm almost tempted to try it to see a gimbal effect with the Solo!

I'll post footage if I do it over the weekend to compare to the P3! Granted... no control over the angle... and would start recording and stop like "the good ole days" ...but I'll edit to spare y'all the bore...

I'll grill some steaks and do some testing over the weekend!
...off to get a roll of gaff tape!

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44