I have drone envy

Reaction score
I was at a parade and noticed a couple phantoms flying around. I thought,I wonder if they worry about reliability like I do. I don't think so because there were 5 of them flying around the fireworks display later on that night. It bothers me that I don't have that confidence due to solos reliability issues. A couple people I know approached me and asked if that was me flying.I said no because it's glitchy and needs refinement. On a side note, I find it interesting that they don't know a solo from a phantom.Hello! that's a phantom..DUH.LOL. (sarcasm)

I think you just need to fly it. I am not sure I would consider it anymore glitchy than the Phantom.

Its a trust building thing. I have over 500 miles on Vision + phantoms and just got a new P3. I don't trust it yet either.

Only way you can build trust is to take off and land it dozens of times.

If you read the forums and put all your faith in that you will never fly the thing !

I actually feel more confident now.Thanks rrmcabe! I guess it's paranoia more than anything.

Yea I understand that. But really you have to get personal trust with any drone. Every DJI I took out of the box had to earn some trust with me.

I started conservative and worked up.

Your solo has a better flight controller than the phantoms hands down. Not saying 3DR is not working out some issues with their implementation of it but you have much more redundancy than the guys flying white !

As I always tell everyone. Take the thing out and force it into situations like RTH, etc so you know how it acts in a controlled environment.

I have flown the solo for about 10 hours so far focusing mostly on low work very close to home. I can honestly say that I trust it to stay airborne and where I want it. The only real issue is gps signal degradation causing sudden changes in station keeping. Fly conservatively - give yourself a nice wide safety margin instead of threading it through obstacles while in Fly mode. But if anything starts to act wonky I immediately hit the fly: manual button and take control.

Op: How do you map the fly manually? I guess I don't know how to use the predefined video modes yet, but I haven't changed anything on the controller either.

Documentation is a little scarce.

Ryan G

Op: How do you map the fly manually? I guess I don't know how to use the predefined video modes yet, but I haven't changed anything on the controller either.

Documentation is a little scarce.

Ryan G
not sure what you mean.

Sorry I meant how do you map the FLY function to a button separately. I think I found the answer to my own question though.

Thanks
Ryan G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M