GoPro Model

Reaction score
What GoPro model have you purchased with the Solo, or plan on using?

I'm a geek, not a professional videographer. This is my first drone purchase, and I'm in it to play around with the tech. I went with the GoPro 4 Silver as it seems more functional from a usability perspective outside of the use of the Solo with the built in LCD touchscreen and longer battery life. I'm thinking a lack of 4k 30fps won't matter too much, and I'll get more use out of the GoPro Silver when I'm not using the Solo.

From an newbie, amateur perspective - how much will I miss the 4k?

Right now I dont care about 4K. I went with Hero 4 black because of framerate only.

I also bought the LCD touch screen for it, so I can have the best of both worlds.

I'm not purchasing a new GoPro so I'll use my Hero 3 and if I want 4k or better I'll wait for the 5 to release and either get that or pick up a used 4. There will be a learning curve for me as far a shooting better than average footage so I'm okay with 1080.

Right now I dont care about 4K. I went with Hero 4 black because of framerate only.

I also bought the LCD touch screen for it, so I can have the best of both worlds.
I haven't even checked this, but do you know if my LCD screen from my Hero3 Black will work on my H4B, or are they different connectors?

Specs say HERO4, HERO3+, HERO3 all use the same model LCD

Last edited:
hero 4 black. i did get mine dirt cheap though. for the op, you won't miss 4k for your needs and the silver has some of the same lower resolutions. i recommend the silver solely based on price. but hey, if you can find a used hero 4 black for the same price, go for it.

Hero4 Black with modified lens to eliminate the fisheye effect and adding filter to reduces the exposures and jello and jitter effect...

Apparently several companies sell the "same" lens to do this. Peau productions is $140 with dust ring and good video instructions. However you can buy lens only other places for $99.

I bought from Peau. Fast shipping and no complaints.

Looks like they are sold out at moment but this is lens.

http://peauproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_139_156&products_id=685

Yup rrmccabe is right. That's where I got my lens and all other item like filters. and they are friendly and so helpful.

Where did you hear about $99 lens for 5.4mm lens non distortion? Please post their website. Thanks

Actually, that lens is pretty much a stock CCTV 5.4mm lens. If you google it, there are many cheaper options. I bought from Peau though. They sell a much longer mount that will hold the lens more securely too (Supermount). That way you just unscrew the mount with the stock lens and not have to break the loctite on it.

Peau also makes ND4 and ND8 filters that can sit inside this setup. I have yet to test it as I also do own the blurfix air filters. I am glad I bought from them. They actually sent me the wrong lens but proceeded DHL the correct one to me from the US to Australia without needing me to send the wrong one back.

Remember, you can't simple buy ANY lens (for 4k compatibility). You need to check the megapixel rating for it. 4k requires a lens resolution of at least 8.3 (UHD) or 8.9 (Cine 4k) megapixels... many of these little lenses are rated for less... Even on Peau's website, the 5.4mm is the only lens for GoPro that is 10 megapixel rated.

As for the OP, I would prefer to shoot in 4k just for the crop factor and stabilization possibilities. I also rather have stock 4k footage as this futureproofs my video for the near future. HD Tvs are going to be outdated soon. While you will still be watching broadcast in HD (or less) for the foreseeable future, this will change pretty quickly as more people own 4k TV sets and demand programming for it. Even streaming services are catching on. Would you really want to watch VHS SD quality recordings you made on a 4k TV? I remember the time when HD was the IN thing... that wasn't too long ago.... This is the same thing all over again.

For me however, I love the fact that I can take a scene and do a smooth digital pan, zoom in, or zoom out within the footage as part of my clip and still render in 1080p. Of course you can do the same with 2.7k on the Silver... but 4k will let me do it for that much more and have futureproof (10yrs perhaps) footage ....

Will use Hero 3 Black for now. Perhaps after enough Solos get into the market place Go Pro or maybe Black Magic will release some new cameras that will eliminate the need for aftermarket lenses. Curious to see how the Go Pro responds to Solo's gimbal before I invest in another camera and or accessories

Yup rrmccabe is right. That's where I got my lens and all other item like filters. and they are friendly and so helpful.

Where did you hear about $99 lens for 5.4mm lens non distortion? Please post their website. Thanks
http://www.surveilzone.com/search/index?keywords=5.4&category=0

I bought that from them. It will come from Hong Kong. I paid the extra $20 to get it in 3 days, as I needed it for the trip I'm now on (Iceland and The Netherlands).

The lens is awesome, and I love it. It did not come with a dust/lock ring, but I used a piece of 1/8" screen rubber to lock it. The video called "Oregon Cascades" on this page is shot with this lens: http://DattaGroover.com/Videos

Last edited:
Reactions: MGOSAN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo