Gopro Hero 4 silver firmware update question

Reaction score
I bought a Hero 4 silver to use on my Solo and it has version 1.0 FW right now and had no camera control when installed. I found the link to the version 3.0 FW and that's what I want to install for now for the ease of the camera turning on and off with solo and I am not doing anything with any footage right now anyway to need the newer firmware. I have the instructions and I downloaded the firmware but I am unsure about step 2....see below.........Any explanation is greatly appreciated as I am completely new to gopro and solo. Thanks in advance!

"Heard back again from Owen. Here's his final response:

Here is the official respond regarding the GoPro update:

The new GoPro firmware update (v4.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply distortion the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.
In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:
1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. GoPro Firmware
2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE
3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer
4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card
5. Insert the SD card back into the GoPro
6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Any other questions please let us know.

Best Regards,

Owen Torres
3DR Technical Support"

When I downloaded the zip file per step 1, it did not download as a zipfile so there is no option to "extract" but the file is there.....it is a .rar file....is that right?

Jeff, I don't know as I haven't done that. Can you just skip step 2 and continue on as if the file you have is the unzipped one?

Update, I found a link on here for v3FW for the hero4 silver and I successfully updated and finally, everything works and I have full camera control AND it powers on and off with solo.

Thanks for all the info on this forum!

My son in law and brother in law have both bought a solo now lol!

Reactions: Maddog
Update, I found a link on here for v3FW for the hero4 silver and I successfully updated and finally, everything works and I have full camera control AND it powers on and off with solo.

Thanks for all the info on this forum!

My son in law and brother in law have both bought a solo now lol!

Hi Mr. Jeff i just would like to know where did you get the link v3FW? v5.0 definitely not good, i want to downgrade to 3.0FW. thank in advance

Just try a search as I did everything pops up.

But if you can't be bothered to try here

GoPro 3.0 fw - Google Drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have a link handy for something that works, there's nothing wrong with asking for it so you don't have to weed through the 1.2 billion choices returned by Google.;)

That's part of the usefulness of forums like this.

Reactions: DJMc and speatuk
If you have a link handy for something that works, there's nothing wrong with asking for it so you don't have to weed through the 1.2 billion choices returned by Google.;)

That's part of the usefulness of forums like this.
But when one is a smart-searcher, the correct results are often #1 allowing you to ignore the next 1,199,999,999 results. :p

Can someone please post Hero 4 silver firmware 3.0 please.

From 3DR when I wrote about the firmware issue:

The new GoPro firmware update (v5.0) is compatible with your SOLO app video feed and settings will work just fine, however, it will no longer turn on along with your SOLO unit. This is permanent and probably that functionality will not be re-enabled for the new GoPro Fw, although this is not a final decision. Besides that, there's a video codec change that alters the video feed when recording on 2.7K and 4K. It will simply zoom the image that is displayed in the app (the live feed), but the video recorded on the GoPro itself is not affected by this.

In case you want to revert firmware to v3.0 to regain old functionality, the steps to downgrade the GoPro Firmware below:

1. Download the UPDATE.zip file for your camera. [GoPro Firmware] https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_PPFYXWqtoaUV9NazVGUnItRW8

2. Extract the files with the option Extract to UPDATE

3. Insert the SD card from the GoPro into the computer

4. Copy the UPDATE folder to the microSD card

5. Insert the SD card back into the Gopro

6. Turn on the GoPro. This will perform the downgrade (the camera will restart itself about 4 times during the downgrade, this is normal).

Reactions: Centro777

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc