Go Pro Drone - Conflict of interest?

Reaction score
Just up for discussion.

Why GoPro Decided To Build A Drone
I realize it's not like it's NEW news or anything but...

With GoPro releasing their own drone, I wonder how long 3DR will continue to specifically support GoPro Cameras. It appears GoPro is already starting a newer line with the Session cameras. Solo Session Gimbal anyone?

I also wonder how much GoPro played a part in ensuring the gimbal "quality" and release dates. After all, if I were in GoPro's shoes, it seems that it would benefit me to delay the 3DR gimbal release as much as possible in an effort to progress getting my own drone to market.

Ideally, I would see the GoPro drone better suited as continued joint venture between 3DR and GoPro. Perhaps the Solo 2 GoPro?

Food for thought.
-Juggler

See GoPro's Support response to questions about supporting their cameras on other platforms:

WILL MY GOPRO HERO 3+ SILVER WORK WITH GIMBAL? | Page 2 | 3D Robotics Drone Forum

Interesting Q & A session. Theoretically, GoPro could "upgrade" firmware on their cameras not to work properly with any UAV except their own. I doubt they would do so, but it would be a means to get GoPro users to buy their quadcopter instead.

Everything stated by 3DR indicates they worked directly with GoPro to make the Solo compatible. Research shows that DJI initially tried to work with GoPro too, but didn't have success.

I'd have to think 3dr has a contracted agreement to control GoPro specifically for at least a few years. As you said I don't think GoPro would or it would be a good idea for them to lock out other companies at least not ones that they have a relationship with like 3dr now. I personally and I'm sure many would have a lot more hesitation to even think about a GoPro drone if that was even a small part of how they gain ground in the space. If their drone is better than solo great Id love to give it a try, but I'm guessing that will be a long hard road as 3dr is even seeing after being in this business and having DJI North Americas former employees on hand. It seems it's not as easy as I'd like to think to put all this together on a large scale. 3dr had every possible advantage over all these other competitors as far as experience and knowhow goes and it's still been a long road getting to where we are now.

I'm sure money on gopros end can solve some of that, but honestly I think a partnership or at least some insight and assistance from 3dr would go a long way for the GoPro drone. Otherwise I'd bet a competitive well made multi near these price points is going to be a longer way off than a lot of people seem to believe right now. I could very well be wrong but seems even with the best and brightest in this field it's a challenge on this mass scale. So to have to hire both in new and try to do it as a first multi build ever and think it's going to not have a lot of hurdles is unrealistic in my mind. I hope they make a great bird for a decent price, I think if it's soon it's more likley to be a decent one at a unrealistic premium. Honestly I don't believe their cams are worth quite what I'm paying, there's just not that much to em. They work well usually but if there were other options for gimbals that were better and more readily available I doubt they'd be used as much as were forced to use them today.

Don't get me wrong I like both mine and I'm not knocking GoPro at all, but the other options are probably about the same quality and are far cheaper, GoPro like other companies got there first and has that name now. That means they can charge what they want and in this hobby at least we really have no choice but to pay it for now since the gimbals are mostly based around Heros. Hopefully they also get more worthy competition like DJI has so they have to price competitively and compete with others in improving the products. It would be a win, win for all of us to see a GoPro drone as well as other good action cameras with gimbals to choose from. Just my thought guess wel see soon enough.

I know, I wish GoPro would of released some specs on their new drone if it is going to support the GoPro 5. As I am really interested in the upcoming GoPro 5.

I just purchased the Solo, and I am already having doubts about it, and the features it is already lacking. Most importantly the features they highlighted the Solo on that are not there yet, and them not knowing when it will be implemented.

GoPro and 3DR have developed a relationship in which GoPro has generated additional sales from. I can see 3DR doing the same for them in designing a GoPro drone.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
3dr customer sales support is annoying as far as i remember last 3 months ago 3dr says solo available in asia end of september and now they said in the next couple of months again,, what the heck!!

Why does everyone believe it with be in the form of a traditional GP camera? They don't need wifi, hdmi port, SD Card, screen or buttons.... 3DR's got the traditional form factor covered...for now.

If GP doesn't produce a micro 4/3 camera soon they will lose market share... with or without a drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44