Gimbal getting good view of props and landing gear!!!!

Wow- nice catch!
Climbing straight up to 1000' (if that's what you did) probably drained the battery a lot.

I think climbing while moving forward (circling, figure 8) would have drained the battery less.

How long were you at 1000' before the battery gave out?

I'm curious how high Solo could climb and still have enough battery to land safely.

I have been up 1800' Just up and straight down. I saw a guy on YouTube go above the clouds. I think close to 3,200'. But he didn't make it down and crashed into the woods. He found his drone about a week later. What fools you is how long it takes to get back down. It comes down very slowly. I'm sure some of the more experienced flyers could give you the science behind why that happens but I know it just does. When I was in Mexico you could do just about anything you wanted to do and not worry about the police stopping you. I will post a video of flying over the beautiful city of Guanajuato.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is at 1,800 feet. I came down with plenty of battery. I set the performance to the fastest setting so I could climb very fast. I could have gone higher but my wifi signal was getting very weak.

Reactions: Maddog
The reason it comes down slow is because your blades are designed to suck air down lifting it up, when you come down the air is now pushing up on the blades so they're effectively acting like a parachute or brake. If you were to reverse the motors you'd come down extremely fast.

Now I got to ask, when you decided to fly that high did it even enter your head that other aircraft are flying around and have no chance of seeing and avoiding you? Effectively you're putting people's lives at risk. I know it's fun to go as high as you can but please be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason it comes down slow is because your blades are designed to suck air down lifting it up, when you come down the air is now pushing up on the blades so they're effectively acting like a parachute or brake. If you were to reverse the motors you'd come down extremely fast.

Now I got to ask, when you decided to fly that high did it even enter your head that other aircraft are flying around and have no chance of seeing and avoiding you? Effectively you're putting people's lives at risk. I know it's fun to go as high as you can but please be safe.

Hi Rotoblades
Yes I did worry about that. The possibility of a plane coming along. But it's not something I did more than once. Just to see if the Solo could fly that high. I was nervous all the way up and back down. But since I am not in an area where planes fly over and because my Solo is no bigger than a hawk. I thought it was worth the chance to see how high it could fly.

If everyone thought like you (or didn't as the case may be) drones would be outlawed tomorrow. Have some common sense man! I keep seeing stories of drones being hella higher than they should, and near misses. This is like a drunk driver trying to justify their reason for driving. There's no excuse.

I see that Laborcita is at about 6200' elevation. That, plus another thousand means the Solo is working very hard to keep itself aloft. This would explain the faster battery drain. At that elevation, you have less than 80% of the atmospheric density that you do at sea level.

Acroduster.
Yes at first I thought my battery's were defective!!
But was wondering how could two battery's go bad at the same time. But the Solo performed well and we were able to map La Laborcita, San Miguel De Otates and another small town where all they do is make bricks La Drieras. Back in the US now and battery's work great.

Hi Rotoblades
Yes I did worry about that. The possibility of a plane coming along. But it's not something I did more than once. Just to see if the Solo could fly that high. I was nervous all the way up and back down. But since I am not in an area where planes fly over and because my Solo is no bigger than a hawk. I thought it was worth the chance to see how high it could fly.

Plane or helicopter which is what I fly, the smaller it is the harder it is to see and if anything hits our Rotorblades were landing or crashing. Now imagine everyone that gets a drone tries this once at least, that's a lot of uas's up in the air... I appreciate you're not going to do it again and thank you, it is a great hobby and we do want you to enjoy it but if you can spread the word with friends that would be great!

Why?
We are facing possible regulations. Regulations intended to prevent irresponsible drone owners from endangering others.
Why?

Reactions: Rotorblades
If everyone thought like you (or didn't as the case may be) drones would be outlawed tomorrow. Have some common sense man! I keep seeing stories of drones being hella higher than they should, and near misses. This is like a drunk driver trying to justify their reason for driving. There's no excuse.
Stay below 400ft A.G.L. and never fly above 400ft A.G.L.!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rotorblades
Curious as to why no hot glue on the hubs for balancing? I've been doing it for years and have never loss the counter weight. Even after some really nice crashes with broken props. I always use a paint stick across the glue so I can verify quickly if something is missing.
I was be sarcastic. Absolutely DO USE hot glue to balance the hubs.

Watching this video has me really chomping at the bit now waiting for mine to arrive.

*groans*

*has'ing a nightmarish vision of slow ketchup trying to get out of the bottle and onto the fries*
I bought mine off the shelf at Bestbuy about 2 weeks ago.

You're right- we shouldn't! I'm also upset that I'm not getting anywhere close to 25 minutes flight time!:mad:

Back to your issue, even if I leave my gimbal at 90 deg I don't get props in view unless I'm accelerating hard. With medium FOV I don't get my landing gear unless I'm yawing hard.
I'm landing with 40% battery left and I'm getting about 11 minutes with the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44