Gimbal fails occasionally

Reaction score
I thought I had a connection problem- there would occasionally be no picture when I powered up my Solo. Bought a new gimbal- it worked fine for a little bit.Then, while in flight, the gimbal would shut off, and the camera would go sideways. I’d land and restart, and the gimbal was fine. This is going on semi regularly. Ideas? Thanks.

I'm waiting on batteries to charge...so here are my quick thoughts...

It maybe an overload protection kicking in. If any of the gimbal motors are in a bind they will overheat and then the gimbal will shut down. Make sure this is not the case, check by feeling around the gimbal for hot spots after a shut down. As well make sure the (powered off) gimbal has full three axis of movement without any binding.

You can also check to see if a power issue is related to the data cable. Removing the battery tray, you can keep the GPS hooked up and place the tray out over the side of the body. With the battery tray out of place, you can connect a battery to power up the system. This will give you access to the gimbal top board, main board and the data cable under power. Wiggle the data wires around to see if this is the source of the problem.

Just a process of elimination.

I'm waiting on batteries to charge...so here are my quick thoughts...

It maybe an overload protection kicking in. If any of the gimbal motors are in a bind they will overheat and then the gimbal will shut down. Make sure this is not the case, check by feeling around the gimbal for hot spots after a shut down. As well make sure the (powered off) gimbal has full three axis of movement without any binding.

You can also check to see if a power issue is related to the data cable. Removing the battery tray, you can keep the GPS hooked up and place the tray out over the side of the body. With the battery tray out of place, you can connect a battery to power up the system. This will give you access to the gimbal top board, main board and the data cable under power. Wiggle the data wires around to see if this is the source of the problem.

Just a process of elimination.
I do have a Polar Pro ND set on the GoPro, with some counterweights on the back to balance. Could that be the issue? Too much weight for the gimbal?

If your unpowered gimbal is balanced with everything added, then not likely. I flew unbalanced with heavier SRP ND's and never experienced an overload.

I know it's a pain in the ass to tear into Solo, but my previous post's suggestions is what I would look into.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela