FPVLR or Mikrotik

Reaction score
Hi!

I want to improve signal when there are obstacles in the way. I don't need several miles of range, but stronger signal when I fly behind some sense obstacles is what I'm looking for.
I read that it is recommended to either change to the FPVLR V2 antenna or/and to replace both WIFI cards to increase range.
I already bought the Alfa antennas, but I'm not happy about the result.
The total range in open spaces are ok, but as soon as I fly behind some trees or a small house the signal drops considerably.

Will the FPVLR and Mikrotik wifi cards both help when there are obstacles or only increase the total range in open spaces?

Which one will be best if I want stronger signal when there are some obstacles like trees house etc. between me and my Solo? FPVLR V2 upgrade or WIFI Mikrotik cards?

I don't need several miles of range in open spaces, but I want to prevent signal loss when flying around same dense obstacles.

Thanks for any advice

The cards should increase the signal strength. Wifi (2.4gHz) does get impacted by buildings and foliage and the solo does best with clear lines of site, but those cards should boost the signal strength and provide a better connection when behind obsticals. Keep in mind that 1) the farther away you go, the more dramatic of a drop you'll have when you fly behind objects, and 2) the Alpha panel antennas are directional so you need to always point them at the drone to keep signal strength high. Even 10 degrees off has a huge impact when the drone is 1000'+ away.

Let us know what you went with and report your findings! Good luck.

Hi!

I want to improve signal when there are obstacles in the way. I don't need several miles of range, but stronger signal when I fly behind some sense obstacles is what I'm looking for.
I read that it is recommended to either change to the FPVLR V2 antenna or/and to replace both WIFI cards to increase range.
I already bought the Alfa antennas, but I'm not happy about the result.
The total range in open spaces are ok, but as soon as I fly behind some trees or a small house the signal drops considerably.

Will the FPVLR and Mikrotik wifi cards both help when there are obstacles or only increase the total range in open spaces?

Which one will be best if I want stronger signal when there are some obstacles like trees house etc. between me and my Solo? FPVLR V2 upgrade or WIFI Mikrotik cards?

I don't need several miles of range in open spaces, but I want to prevent signal loss when flying around same dense obstacles.

Thanks for any advice
I have the FPVLR antennas, and for me they did make a noticeable difference around trees and such. For sure the signal drop is less if Solo is within about 100 yds. Even the FPVLR's are somewhat directional, so they also need to be pointed towards Solo for optimal results. I haven't had the need for the wifi cards mod since I changed out the stock antennas. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I ordered the Wifi Cards and will try that first.

I will report back when I have tried them.

Thanks a lot for your feedback Erik, Chuck and Dml

Reactions: dml931

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150