Foam Insert?

Reaction score
took the plunge today. Order a solo kit.

Picked up
Solo with gimbal
4 extra batteries
Extra set props
Extra charger
Solo backpack

Im wondering, I have a pelican 1610 hard case. Does anyone know of a place that could make a custom foam insert for the solo? I've seen the cases for sale, I didn't know if I could find just the insert for my particular box? I bought it with pull and pluck foam for a different bird, and haven't set it up. Have since sold the bird. But would rather have a custom insert as opposed to pull and pluck foam.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have seen some videos somewhere, that shows guys cutting out their own foam to fit the Solo. It did the job for them, but was nothing like the GoProfessional case made for Solo, or the 3DR backpack. Both did a great job of fitting the Solo. In my opinion, if you are spending that kind of money on your Solo and accessories, why not invest in a couple hundred more for a protective case meant for your bird?

Reactions: prowler9
I have seen some videos somewhere, that shows guys cutting out their own foam to fit the Solo. It did the job for them, but was nothing like the GoProfessional case made for Solo, or the 3DR backpack. Both did a great job of fitting the Solo. In my opinion, if you are spending that kind of money on your Solo and accessories, why not invest in a couple hundred more for a protective case meant for your bird?

I agree 200% with you. The pelican 1610 case is a badass water proof, rock solid travel case. It cost as much as the GoProfessional case, without an insert. I was/am hoping to find someone that can water jet an insert for it. If I can, I will attempt to sell the case locally, and use the funds to buy a purpose built case. Was just hoping to utilize the case I had.

It can always be used to carry spare parts and other odds and ends. I have a small case that I keep my spare battery charger, tablet, FPVLR antenna, and binoculars in.

Well the pelican 1610 is a large case. I contacted GoProfessional and they won't make inserts for anything but their cases. Also contacted a company that would be happy to make a custom insert for $300.

I think what I'm going to do is this. I'll have the solo backpack on Saturday. I'm hoping its foam insert isn't glued into the pack. Then I'll get some new pull and pluck foam ($57). I'll pluck out a rectangle big enough for the back pack insert to fit into. Because of the way the 1610 case is designed, I should be able to pluck out some storage passes under there the backpack insert slides in, for like extra props and anything else that isn't too big. This pelican case is as good if not better then the cases companies like GoProfessional use. If I can make it work, I'll post photos here.

Hey Troiano27

Did you check with a company called Drone Crates? I had a Sea Horse case, they made a Foam insert for my case. Very nice, Very satisfied.

Hey Troiano27

Did you check with a company called Drone Crates? I had a Sea Horse case, they made a Foam insert for my case. Very nice, Very satisfied.
I will check them out. I haven't come across that company. Thanks for the heads up.

Emailed the guys at drone crates. They don't currently make inserts for pelican cases. Too bad, I like the looks of their solo case.

Going back to my 2nd thought. New pull and pluck foam and using the backpack insert. Will have extra room for other items in the case, like my 2nd charger.

Hey Troiano27

Thanks for suggesting Drone Crates. I've talked to Kris over there he's going to sell me the insert only. It's a hair smaller then my case,mbut that's perfect as I'll be able to use the pull and pluck foam to create a perfect cavity for their foam.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44