Flying with a boat

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to try follow me mode while in the boat... For those who have done this, will being far from the take off point be an issue if I stay close to the solo with the controller while running the boat? Meaning if the solo is following me say a couple miles from the takeoff, as long as I don't lose signal will it be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be an issue as when battery life gets low it will try to return home. Going a few miles is probably a little optimistic on its range.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Even if the solo is a couple hundred feet behind me and a hundred feet up?

That's within the range of the controller but again, the unit will return home when battery is low. That is nothing to do with the controller location.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Completely understand that... My basic question is as long and the solo and controller and close together, and the battery does not get too low, it will not be a problem being far away from the takeoff spot... I would plan to land where the boating destination is...

The problem with boating with a solo is that you can't arm it on a boat, you must be on level hard ground or it won't arm.

As to other things, we need return to me to help in case a RTL is triggered, but if all goes well you should be able to have fun, one you can arm it.

Rumor is that a boat mode is coming soon. Many of us are waiting for it.

I have launched from a boat before, as long as it's calm water... I just haven't tried the follow me mode yet

More risk than this boy wants to take, although I understand how much fun it would be to do it. I thought of a commercial where the Solo did a follow me, followed by the circle maneuve. But I'd do it from land at this point

Ah. A topic near and dear to my heart. Yes Boat Mode is coming, on another blog the CEO sent me an update just a few days ago and it's in Beta testing as we speak and if all goes as planned it should be out with the next software update anytime w/n the next two weeks. My understanding is that with this mod, you can launch from a moving/rocking boat, it's automatic/nothing special you have to change, so I'm assuming they made some changes in the pre-arm checks etc. I've managed to launch from my boat a few times but you only get solo to initialize if in perfectly flat/glassy water.

As to the original question starting this thread, yes you can launch and let the solo follow you on the boat with no problem then land elsewhere, I've found I can get a couple of miles out of it or so, it depends on how fast I'm going, how much wind the solo is fighting with, all relative to the battery life. What I do is I just make sure than when the battery gets down to about 30% I'm already in the process of landing it manually, which for me what I do is just grab the thing from underneath right behind the camera (the main body) then power it down. Tricky and a little dangerous, but that's what I do.

Any Update about this Boat Mode?
On top of the take-off issues while the boat is moving, will this mode affect also the RTH attitude of our Solos?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny