FAA regulations & UAVs.

Reaction score
I would like to ask has anyone went thru the process of submitting an FAA section 333 exemption. What was the process? How long did it take for submission to completion? Do you have to have a minimum of a sports pilot certification to fly UAVs commercially? Do you think that this standard will stand the test of time?

I have seen 4 months on applications to approve. Everything is on the FAA website. I cannot speak on what class will be needed or what the politicians will do to it. Currently I thought 3rd class medical and PP was the standard until next year when the new purposed guidelines will comes out. I might be wrong.

Reactions: Timothy Ealey
I have seen 4 months on applications to approve. Everything is on the FAA website. I cannot speak on what class will be needed or what the politicians will do to it. Currently I thought 3rd class medical and PP was the standard until next year when the new purposed guidelines will comes out. I might be wrong.
My understanding is that the Sport Pilot's license with a valid DL is good with the 333 right now.

Great all the better. Understanding the rules put in place for safety is more important then being certified. Sorry for the mis-lead. As a PP and A&P I knew I was OK.

That is what I understand to be the ruling. I still think that it is massively excessive and yet not enough in other areas..(ie..Knowledge tests on deciphering weather reports UAV or RC pilots never use, disallowing commercial drones schooling.) I hesitate to start expensive schooling to become Sport Pilot certifed, only to see new rulings next year. I just wanted to take pictures and video to try to make a dollar. Not fly actual airplanes...

Yes but as of now it is an aircraft and thus regulated like one. The FAA regulation were created around aircraft carrying souls and don't account for today's tech. Our drones/UAVs are different and as fabulous as our government perform we will have to wait. In the mean time we can educate ourselves and fellow drone pilots to help influence wise regulation.

The new regulation will eliminate the pilots license requirement, may not get finalized until 2017, scheduled for release in 2016. There is a bill in the legislature (if they get off their ass) to implement this regulation until new rules can be established by FAA. See Attached

Attachments

• 021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf
    101 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for uploading the FAA proposed rule changes. All of the changes seem sensible. I'm guessing that municipalities can still make their own rules and laws governing their own airspace...?

What exactly is the process & isn't there a fast track for new technologies? Although I have heard the horror stories of FAA coming after people for posting video of their UAVs (I believe flying dangerously)& being prosecuted, fines levied..etc. Ive no idea if they are urban myths. If SWIM was to act within guidelines that are being considered, what is the likelihood of them being prosecuted for operations w/o a 333 exemption & pilot credentials?

The first part of the process is to apply for the Section 333 exemption, second part is to comply. There needs to be some enforcement even in the early days of regulation otherwise they will have a hard time catching up. Given how many people are flying, probably the odds of being caught is slim, but need to plan on doing the right thing to create a business. I currently only fly at club sites, obviously not for pay but to practice and learn. When the 333 comes through I will need to comply with all the provisions which should not be too difficult and can expand into business when I choose.

Reactions: lsmith1981

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M