FAA Part 107

Reaction score
What's the best route to go and who should I go with?

GO!

How do you learn? Do you learn best in a classroom, watching videos, listening, or reading? These are all options. Do you have any previous aviation experience/interest? Do you already know how to read METAR or sectionals?

Reactions: WMCC71
I used a combination of FAA study guides and advisories and 3DR's test materials.

I used Gold Seals UAV Ground School. Just make sure you Google for a promo code to knock it down to $150. Also, has for-life access. Used it for a week and then took the test. I am not a self study kinda person so I needed the class. The format is a bunch of short approximately 10 minute videos.

Read the study guide from the FAA twice and watch Tony Northrup’s free YouTube tutorial twice. No cost.

How do you learn? Do you learn best in a classroom, watching videos, listening, or reading? These are all options. Do you have any previous aviation experience/interest? Do you already know how to read METAR or sectionals?
I was on the FAA site when I registered (Federal Drone Registration?) my bird and there was this option to take the Part 107 course for $25/mo. Is that legit? It said the course could take 1-3 months to complete.
Yes, i was in the Aviation Explorer Scout (Back in '88 for two years) and since then I have a few hours logged for Dual Instruction in a Fixed wing and before all of that... There was MSFS (Microsoft Flight Simulator) lol. Now, there is a lot that would be more or less refreshers as far as METARS, NOTAMs, and Sectionals go.

I was on the FAA site when I registered (Federal Drone Registration?) my bird and there was this option to take the Part 107 course for $25/mo. Is that legit?

Huh, haven't seen that. Unsure, but I'm skeptical. Seems like a long time to study for what turns out to be fairly easy, at least as long as you can read a sectional chart.

Yes, i was in the Aviation Explorer Scout (Back in '88 for two years) and since then I have a few hours logged for Dual Instruction in a Fixed wing and before all of that...

If you can still read a sectional chart, you're like halfway there. METAR and TAF are not a huge part of the test, but good to know. Sounds like you have enough aviation exposure that a lot of the questions are probably easily deduced as to what the correct answer would be. Read the FAA sUAS study guide and check out Free FAA Part 107 sUAS & Drone Certification Study Guide | Northrup.Photo. I suspect most people can pass using logic, the knowledge that the remote pilot in command is always responsible for everything, and looking over something like the Tony Northrup page. If you're really uncertain, grab the ASA study guide. It has practice questions: https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Pilot-Test-Prep-2018/dp/1619545594
I started going through the ASA guide and got board quick enough that I realized I was ready to just take the exam and move on.

I was on the FAA site when I registered (Federal Drone Registration?)...
That's not the FAA's website. That's a private company. You paid a private consulting company $25.00 to give the FAA a $5.00 fee on your behalf. The FAA's website is faa.gov. Not "federaldroneregistration.com". I suggest looking elsewhere for part 107 training

Yeah. I realized that after the fact... Lesson learned! Although I was on faa.gov when I went to register.

Just passed the Recurrent Test with 93%.

Thanks to Remotepilot101.com for making it easy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986