Drones in Cuba???

Reaction score
Hey Everybody -

My fiancee and I are taking a trip to Cuba this December and we're contemplating bringing our drone to take shots of their beautiful beaches. However - every single person who traveled to Cuba before - that I've met told me I'm crazy for even considering it.

Got this article from my brother as well:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/15/8420935/cuba-drone-import-border-control

What are your thoughts? Should I bring the Solo to Cuba and say hey to Fidel...or not?

I would say save yourself the hassle, and leave it at home. After going through security, and storing it on a plane, only to have it confiscated until you leave, seems a very futile thing to do. Sneaking it in, and then getting caught, could be much worse. Play it safe.

So, you know your drone will be confiscated if found..
That means if you succeed in smuggling it in, somebody will probably call the authorities if they see you flying it..

I'm guessing you have never lived in a communist country (a police state), and don't know the authorities will likely descend on you like stink on sh**. Automatic weapons, armored or armed vehicles, all pointed at you.

Some guy with a beard, military uniform and stupid mirrored sunglasses will scream at you in Spanish. They will kick the crap out of you and haul you away to some smelly jail with human waste on the floor.

Then, there is talk of criminal charges (most likely spying), lawyers and the State Dept. gets involved..

I think you should go for it- what could possibly go wrong?:)

By the way, you know Fidel is gone, right?

Reactions: Chuck
So, you know your drone will be confiscated if found..
That means if you succeed in smuggling it in, somebody will probably call the authorities if they see you flying it..

I'm guessing you have never lived in a communist country (a police state), and don't know the authorities will likely descend on you like stink on sh**. Automatic weapons, armored or armed vehicles, all pointed at you.

Some guy with a beard, military uniform and stupid mirrored sunglasses will scream at you in Spanish. They will kick the crap out of you and haul you away to some smelly jail with human waste on the floor.

Then, there is talk of criminal charges (most likely spying), lawyers and the State Dept. gets involved..

I think you should go for it- what could possibly go wrong?:)

By the way, you know Fidel is gone, right?

haha!!! Well, that would make an awesome shot though...

I think I've let go of the idea of bringing any electronic devices and soak up the '60s lifestyle there...anybody want a Cohiba?

Haha yeah - his burial site is one of my destinations I will visit while I'm there, and I was hoping to disturb his sleep.

Reactions: Maddog
I think Maddog meant he is out of power, not dead. I believe he stepped down as leader in 2011 or 2012, but he is still alive and kicking.

If anyone still wondering about 'drone in Cuba'. I've just came back from my vacation.
Drone was confiscated on the border and stay with them until my flight back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M