Drone pointing in a set direction using Tower

Reaction score
When conducting a survey mission using Tower;
Is it possible to fix my drone pointing in a set direction?
Reason: I fly survey missions on mine sites,
and would like my Solo to always point towards the mine walls.
If so, I can slightly lift the camera angle so better images & photogrammetry model of the sub-vertical wall surface can be generated.
Image below shows cameras facing 90 degrees down. What I want is cameras facing towards the wall.

Terrain Hugging Mission.JPG

Last edited:
When conducting a survey mission using Tower;
Is it possible to fix my drone pointing in a set direction?
Reason: I fly survey missions on mine sites,
and would like my Solo to always point towards the mine walls.
If so, I can slightly lift the camera angle so better images & photogrammetry model of the sub-vertical wall surface can be generated.

View attachment 7557
You should be able to use ROI (Region of Interest) to have the camera point in which ever direction you want it to.

I believe that there is also an autopilot command to have the vehicle point in a certain direction during a waypoint mission but am unsure which command it is.

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonty
You should be able to use ROI (Region of Interest) to have the camera point in which ever direction you want it to.

I believe that there is also an autopilot command to have the vehicle point in a certain direction during a waypoint mission but am unsure which command it is.

Bill
Thanks, Ill give it a go.

You have more control options using Mission Planner. Tower does not offer anything beyond a basic tool set.
I normally use MP for survey generation, and then Tower for mission launch (using tablet).
However; given I have recently started using MP directly to launch my missions in RTK mode,
I'll search through MP methods for direction pointing, and give MP a go for maintaining direction pointing during mission survey.
Thanks.

When you create the survey check the lock copter box. There is a downside to this if your a purist in photogrammetry. If your processing software does lens calibrations to account for distortions in the camera lens you will need photos from different directions to make that work.

Just reread and saw the note you build your plans with MP. Use the Condition Yaw waypoints to make that go.

Reactions: Jonty and RichWest
When you create the survey check the lock copter box. There is a downside to this if your a purist in photogrammetry. If your processing software does lens calibrations to account for distortions in the camera lens you will need photos from different directions to make that work.

Just reread and saw the note you build your plans with MP. Use the Condition Yaw waypoints to make that go.
Thanks for the head-up. I'll follow your advice.

You bet. We use Photoscan for processing and for it to find and correct for lens distortions it ideally needs photos taken from 4 directions all 90 degrees from each other. Depending on the project as to how much I do. If Im doing volumetric work it likes to have sidelap and overlap of 66% and I will fly the area twice, once going side to side and once front to back. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Jonty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000