Change circle direction in Tower

Reaction score
Although I have managed to insert camera trigger points into a Structure Scan survey within Tower.

However then recording still shots (see method below) while flying a circle,
the front left leg of Solo gets in the shot (bottom left of photo).
This because the Gopro camera on gimbal is weighted on the left side of the craft, and a) the orbiting craft is tilting left.

If the Solo orbited in a counterclockwise direction (default is clockwise)
I think the left mounted camera, when Solo is orbiting right would not capture the right leg in photo frame.

So, does anyone know how to change the default Tower orbit direction when flying a Circle or Structure Scan?
Given the left mount camera on gimbal, I think the default direction should be counterclockwise.

Create Still Shots using Tower.
Method in summary,
I create a very small normal Survey Mission.
From this, I edit all except one waypoint that exists between the auto generated camera trigger points.
I then select the mid waypoint (between trigger points) and from pull down menu, change the Waypoint to Structure Scan.
When uploaded to drone, it changes to a circle (no worries), as it performs the same duty.
Solo flies in orbit while taking still shots, at distance intervals modified in Trigger Point menu pulldown.

Last edited:
Another Tower question, Frank. I haven't used Tower in a few months. Everything is updated. I went to open Tower and Solo and couldn't do it. Did something change, where both apps can't be open at the same time?

Thanks,

Jerry

Franknitty69,
Thanks for the excellent and helpful information (change CIRCLE_RATE to a negative value (counter clockwise)).
Tomorrow I'll fly counterclockwise on a new project lined up. (I'll let you know results on this thread).

As for Tower not working when 3DR Solo App is open, yes that's a small benign bug -
Tower 4.0 does not like the company of 3DR Solo App.
When flying with Tower 4.0, I close 3DR App.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R
I flew a structure scan today with counterclockwise orbit direction at same speed as previous in clockwise orbit .
The still shots in counterclockwise did not capture the Solo front leg.
Clockwise orbits capture the Solo leg.
So, yes counterclockwise orbits are preferable for clean photos.

Reactions: RichWest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc