Different style gimbals?

Reaction score
20180512_164938.jpg Hey guys,

Here's a question for you, did 3dr make two different type Gimbals? If you look at the pictures one is considerably lower than the other and the arm that holds the servo one goes up and one goes down. One barely clears the ground even with extensions and one is closer to the body of the Drone but it's very hard to balance. Just wondering as I bought these second hand connected to the drone, how this came to be. I cannot seem to find any information online about different styles of Gimbal from through 3DR any help would be appreciated.
They both work fine , the one thats closer to the drone is harder to balance, and i have to push it level for the servo to take over.
Is this an anomaly, or are there more than one version?

Attachments

• 15261588530221956152162-1.jpg
    15261588530221956152162-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: TLBean
Nothing unique about what you have, very common today. You just have two bent gimbals.

Last edited:
Nothing unique about what you have, very common today. You just have two bent gimbals.
Where are they bent?
They work fine, the arm is just diffeent on each one.
I have a friend that has one and his is like the one that is lower(angled down)
There appears to be no damage, just wondering why they are different

Where are they bent?
Hard to say exactly from the pictures, but likely where the two arms mate. Either can be slightly bent and combined to show the obvious offset.

If you compare the two arms, Yaw (vertical) and the roll arm (horizontal) as you depicted, they should be at a 90 angle of each other when leveled.

Your question was why they are different, I gave you the answer. Had nothing to do whether they work or not. Only one version of the gimbal. I'm just the messenger.

Hard to say exactly from the pictures, but likely where the two arms mate. Either can be slightly bent and combined to show the obvious offset.

If you compare the two arms, Yaw (vertical) and the roll arm (horizontal) as you depicted, they should be at a 90 angle of each other when leveled.

Your question was why they are different, I gave you the answer. Had nothing to do whether they work or not. Only one version of the gimbal. I'm just the messenger.
They are both at 90 degrees for the arms mate. My friend has one brand new out of the box and it is like the one that has the lower arm. But I can't find anything wrong with the one that has the same degrees in the upward position they are not bent I was just wondering if it was perhaps a factory defect and they assembled it wrong or something. Not mad just trying to get an answer thanks for your help

Not how you have them depicted, from a right hand side perspective. In either case, if they work for you good deal. But again, not a factory defect or different versions.
Is it possible that someone had disassembled it and purposely change the angle? The angles are exactly the opposite so I was thinking that maybe somebody took it apart and rotated the servo so that it was further up and away from the ground on the one that inclines up. I took the picture with a drone leaning over at about a 45 degree angle to the left side maybe why is it it looks that way. The way I actually noticed it I tried to put the foam Block that stabilizes the gimbal in and it won't fit because there's not enough room

I have normally 90 degrees angle . No up or down.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I agree they probably are bent I just can't see where or how. The fact remains they probably are so thanks for the help they work fine I suppose it's just something I'll have to live with like I said I never noticed it until I started to put the foam insert into protect the gimbal and it would fit in the one but not the other and I started looking into why that was.
Not a great mystery but definitely solved thanks to everyone

I agree they probably are bent I just can't see where or how. The fact remains they probably are so thanks for the help they work fine I suppose it's just something I'll have to live with like I said I never noticed it until I started to put the foam insert into protect the gimbal and it would fit in the one but not the other and I started looking into why that was.
Part of the mystery explanation would be as that I bought them used so even though the owner said they were never crashed obviously something may have happened to the gimbal or the Drone or both. But they both work fine they just look a little weird

Part of the mystery explanation would be as that I bought them used...
Seems to be a common reply once more question are asked, being either used or crashed. Stuff happens, hard landing or rough handling could have been the cause, at any point in its working life. The chicken or the egg thing. At least you have working gimbals...could be worse.

They are both clearly bent. When you look at the side bar with the screw in it, on the one you see it has an upward angle with respect to the vertical line where it attaches at the back, and the second one you can see it has a downward angle. You could ask for a refund, because it's clearly not as it comes out of the box. But that would involve time haggling. You say it works, but I bet if you look at the video closely you'll see more propellors in the up bent one and less in the down bent one when the camera is pointing straight ahead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig