DBS Mods P3 antenna bracket alteration

Do you have a link for theese antennas?
thx D

Dirby, its same as P3

https://shop.trycelery.com/page/557d73e9237a6a0a003d45b2?domain=dbsmods.com&referer=

OK, as I was sitting here trying to think of a witty comeback, one snide remark that I came up with was blaming your fancy McGyvered bracket on the loss of range... then it occurred to me, "Hey, *could* it be your fancy custom bracket as opposed to hand-holding the DBS panel?" [emoji15]

Highly possible ! Not sure I like the hand holding. Need to get a hat bracket and longer feedlines.

Took delivery on the DBS Mods antenna(s) yesterday. One for P3 and one for Solo. The P3 comes with a REALLY nice stainless bracket and clips on to the bar of the Phantom 3.

Since there is no bracket available for the Solo I was going to start from scratch and build one out of aluminum with material anyone could buy at Home Depot. However, it turned out with some cutting and filing the stock P3 bracket worked great.

I am going to paint the panel black today and while that is drying I will probably do some finish filing on the bracket.

This took about 15 minutes to fabricate but I have a large shop full of tools. Its basically just cutting, filing and drilling a couple holes.

First of all here is the stock P3 bracket. As I said its a nice piece !
View attachment 486

This is the bracket held up to the Solo controller where the mount clips on. I cut off the sides (yellow), cut out the area with the white dotted line and drilled two holes shown in black. I used screws with nylock nuts and the solo mount captured the nuts perfectly so they would not spin as tightened.

View attachment 487

Here is a picture of the cut down mount installed.

View attachment 483

Here is the picture with no device mountedView attachment 484

And here is the final picture with the Samsung Tab 3 (8.4").

View attachment 482

The way the Solo tablet mount is decided there are a million ways to easily mount the DBS panel with just a bent piece of aluminum strap. The panel has two studs on the back with wingnuts so its easy to attach.
What size drill bit? Size and length of screws? Thank you.

Took delivery on the DBS Mods antenna(s) yesterday. One for P3 and one for Solo. The P3 comes with a REALLY nice stainless bracket and clips on to the bar of the Phantom 3.

Since there is no bracket available for the Solo I was going to start from scratch and build one out of aluminum with material anyone could buy at Home Depot. However, it turned out with some cutting and filing the stock P3 bracket worked great.

I am going to paint the panel black today and while that is drying I will probably do some finish filing on the bracket.

This took about 15 minutes to fabricate but I have a large shop full of tools. Its basically just cutting, filing and drilling a couple holes.

View attachment 486

This is the bracket held up to the Solo controller where the mount clips on. I cut off the sides (yellow), cut out the area with the white dotted line and drilled two holes shown in black. I used screws with nylock nuts and the solo mount captured the nuts perfectly so they would not spin as tightened.

View attachment 487

View attachment 483

View attachment 482

The way the Solo tablet mount is decided there are a million ways to easily mount the DBS panel with just a bent piece of aluminum strap. The panel has two studs on the back with wingnuts so its easy to attach.
Is there a particular type and or brand of paint you would use on this antenna inclosure?

www.dbsmod.com

Got one, I mounted mine with 20lb. 3M Mounting tape, 1 side on the ant., other side on the tablet mount. Rock solid!! Cheap, and done in 2 minutes.Looks fine also.

upload_2015-7-26_17-46-57.png

However you decide to mount it, get one of these. It really does make flying Solo what you thought it would be like and for $100 bucks you cant beat it.

Rich really is the connoisseur of fine projects and I imagine I will be copy catting his design shortly. Nice job Rich!

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-26_17-44-36.png
    upload_2015-7-26_17-44-36.png
    639.8 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: GoodnNuff
David, there is an advantage to your setup. The panel sits flat so controller does not rock. Mine is about an inch up so does not sit as flat as yours.

@SkyDoctor

Screws are 8-32 x 3/4". A 5/32" bit should do it for you.

And any hardware store or lumber place should have paint for plastic. I would go Satin and not glos so scuffs do not show.

Reactions: Dirby
www.dbsmod.com

Got one, I mounted mine with 20lb. 3M Mounting tape, 1 side on the ant., other side on the tablet mount. Rock solid!! Cheap, and done in 2 minutes.Looks fine also.

View attachment 493

However you decide to mount it, get one of these. It really does make flying Solo what you thought it would be like and for $100 bucks you cant beat it.

Rich really is the connoisseur of fine projects and I imagine I will be copy catting his design shortly. Nice job Rich!
yep rich is the God Father of the Solo.

Reactions: KRVer
David, there is an advantage to your setup. The panel sits flat so controller does not rock. Mine is about an inch up so does not sit as flat as yours.

@SkyDoctor

And any hardware store or lumber place should have paint for plastic. I would go Satin and not glos so scuffs do not show.
i wonder how velcroe would work?

Why didn't I think of that,,hmmm. There is an industrial grade Velcro. I'm sure it would work. I can pick my controller and antenna up by the antenna and it's solid.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Why didn't I think of that,,hmmm. There is an industrial grade Velcro. I'm sure it would work. I can pick my controller and antenna up by the antenna and it's solid.
It's rated something like 10lbs per square inch or so - actually "clicks" when you snap the two sides together - good stuff. Besides our local electronics store, I've also seen it at Home Depot with the other Velcro (hook and loop) fasteners.

Whatever you do make sure its rigid. Those miniature coax whips are not going to take any moving around to speak of.

@SkyDoctor

Thank you Sir.

Rich I was thinking of buying extra long cables and mount that panel on a tall tripod with swivel. I would be able to reach up and adjust to point. Do you think that would offer more improvement? Or should I do that with upgraded omni?

View attachment 486

View attachment 487

View attachment 483

View attachment 482

Looking good!

www.dbsmod.com

View attachment 493

where did you ,get this tape?
thx D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44