Counter UAS Issues Congressional Hearing 7/11/18

Reaction score
In case you don't follow the FB Groups. My OP there apologized that this isn't specifically related to our Solos. That said, it presents a discussion that very well may impact where and how we can fly them in the future.

I copied the YouTube at the point that the sound finally kicked in (25:58 minutes).

Be sure to pay special attention to the statement made in here introductory comment by the FAA Rep that starts at 28:43 minutes.

Lots of discussion relating to "Remote ID".

Most of us are well aware that the 336 provision applies little or no actual rules for Hobby Opps. What they did do is to impost that flying under 336 be done by the "guidelines" (not enforceable as regulations are) set forth by a Community Based Organization. The AMA was not specifically called out but conventional wisdom offers that the AMA is the only "viable" UAS CBA. They were not invited to participate ii the hearing.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: KenMc
In case you don't follow the FB Groups. My OP there apologized that this isn't specifically related to our Solos. That said, it presents a discussion that very well may impact where and how we can fly them in the future.

I copied the YouTube at the point that the sound finally kicked in (25:58 minutes).

Be sure to pay special attention to the statement made in here introductory comment by the FAA Rep that starts at 28:43 minutes.

Lots of discussion relating to "Remote ID".

Most of us are well aware that the 336 provision applies little or no actual rules for Hobby Opps. What they did do is to impost that flying under 336 be done by the "guidelines" (not enforceable as regulations are) set forth by a Community Based Organization. The AMA was not specifically called out but conventional wisdom offers that the AMA is the only "viable" UAS CBA. They were not invited to participate ii the hearing.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yeah I watched this a week back only to scream at my TV these people have sold us out for their gain, the hobby as we know it will cease to exist...I'm selling my RC stuff and Starting a new hobby (How to make boiled Rope, Guillotines, and Pitchforks) This crap will end one way or another, as soon as we the people wake the hell up.. Our freedoms are slowly being eroded away by these lobbyist and politicians...All of whom could give a rats @SS about our Hobbies....

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Our freedoms are slowly being eroded away by these lobbyist and politicians...All of whom could give a rats @SS about our Hobbies....
Let alone basic human/civil rights, access to safe air/water/food, etc.

That one rep whose head wasn't completely up his rear seems like a possible ally/advocate.

Yeah but they cut him off real quick,

I'm afraid the people of our country are not awake they blame everything on government yet It is We The People that can and do make a difference.Government has gotten too big period, needs to be dismantled or the very least downsized...greatly

Reactions: timgilley
Thank you for posting this - very important information.

As drones have become more capable - this was inevitable.

too many dumb asses watching to much bullshit on tv news ,they get the idea that a drone can do anything and see through your house ,before the micro wave device starts cooking you from down the street

Reactions: XevetS
Not changing a bloody thing for me, I Fly where I want when I want (In unrestricted airspace) and thy gotta catch me. These idiots don't have a clue.. But they have a big fat supprise coming real soon and are gonna have bigger fish to deal with [emoji290] [emoji226] [emoji880]

Reactions: XevetS
Been flying in an airplane just about every weekend. Number of drones spotted from the air = 0. However there are idiots out there fueling the anti drone movement. Just look at some of the posts in this forum, people bragging about how high they've flown their drone or asking how high they can get with their drone. People asking how to disable the lights for night flying. Look at numerous clips on youtube of people flying at night, flying over crowds, crashing the damn things. You've heard of grammar nazi's, well, we need to start our own movement. THE DRONE POLICE! Who wants to print off some t-shirts?

I fly in a rural area right outside a small town. I'm pretty conservative - no higher than 200 feet or farther out than about a 1/4 mile - and never at night.

No issues. Right?

And then, the other morning - whoosh -- crop duster, lining up on a field - right over my house, right thru "my" airspace. First time in 5 years - maybe never again.

Now, we can debate what the risk was - after all, the Solo has a short flight time, and after the first pass I would have realized the aircraft was there - and maybe even if there was a collision it wouldn't have been serious....

I'm sure the pilot of the duster filed a flight plan - and there was probably a NTA I should have read and interpreted - and I wasn't flying anyway.

But, the point is that the airspace has significant economic and public interests that it serves.

Reactions: WMCC71
Been flying in an airplane just about every weekend. Number of drones spotted from the air = 0. However there are idiots out there fueling the anti drone movement. Just look at some of the posts in this forum, people bragging about how high they've flown their drone or asking how high they can get with their drone. People asking how to disable the lights for night flying. Look at numerous clips on youtube of people flying at night, flying over crowds, crashing the damn things. You've heard of grammar nazi's, well, we need to start our own movement. THE DRONE POLICE! Who wants to print off some t-shirts?
The Drone Rebel Alliance

That duster incident would "Almost" make me never want to fly again. Lol

Yeah, tell me about it. I was out at my place during the eclipse. Got some footage before the eclipse and landed. No sooner than I had landed some a**hole in a twin engine Beachcraft buzzed my property at about 200ft AGL. Probably showing off to his stupid passengers. I wish I'd got the N number and reported the moron.