Controller not charging

Reaction score
Is anyone out there having the problem of the controller not charging?
I don't get the charging icon but the charger seems to be working.
I check with multimeter and get 8.3 volts
Any Ideas

Any Ideas
plug the charger into the controler tham plug the charger into the wall outlet.
now on the controler tap the power button.
a battery should appear on the controler center panel.
it should tell you how much the battery in the controler has been charged

open the battery compartment on the back of the controler and check to see if the battery is pluged in.

I believe it's a standard lipo. Look at the manual. you can put a higher capacity battery in it.

Edit: the manual states 3DR has an extended capacity battery. So it may be proprietary.

Last edited:
Any Ideas

I'm having the same problem. Got my Solo 2 days ago. 1 flight and I'm done because the controller won't charge. Same as you, I tested the plug-in charger and got 8.3 volts output. But no response when I plug it into the controller and the battery isn't charging at all. No "charger connected" message on controller screen. 36 hours plugged in and still dead. So I have an unusable Drone until I find a solution.

Have you found any answer to this yet? I'm trying to decide if I need to pack it all up and return it to B&H. Pretty disappointing after waiting 3 months to get it!

Mine came through BB and I ended up taking it back and they just gave me a new one
That seems the easiest way to deal with them.

I believe it's a standard lipo. Look at the manual. you can put a higher capacity battery in it.

It's a lithium Ion battery. Since it powers the controller, it's probably a problem with the charge circuitry. Can you possibility take the battery out of the controller and charge it by itself with a Lipo charger?

Thanks for the update Searchr151. 3DR just contacted me about a return/exchange. It sounds like they will take care of me so I don't need to return to B&H

Reactions: 3dr.80
I have the same issue, no charge indicator on the controller when plugged in. Press the start button, icon shows low battery and has not changed since plugged in for 16 hours.
Rather disappointing. New tool and can't use it... I do have the iris+ with a tarot gimbal, that I do like, but the FPV kit sucks. Worthless is the proper definition...
For now, I will use the Iris+ and do the exercises I learned in anger management class.
I'm just tired of spending money on Items that cause frustration.

Seems to be a design issue or manufacturing issue. Just purchased my 3DR from BBY yesterday and charged it all night and the controller is not charging. Tried everything. Very frustrating as I had to drive about 2hrs for a BBY that had one in stock. On may way back today to exchange, will be testing while in store.

Seems to be a design issue or manufacturing issue. Just purchased my 3DR from BBY yesterday and charged it all night and the controller is not charging. Tried everything. Very frustrating as I had to drive about 2hrs for a BBY that had one in stock. On may way back today to exchange, will be testing while in store.

Did you return it?
Like you, I had to drive but only an hour. Last one in stock. I got it back to my shop, the first thing I did was plug in the charger... CHARGES!
I performed all the tasks with upgrades, Had a short flight due to partially charged solo battery.

Definitely needs the gimbal ! Hopefully soon. Flying again this P.M.

And no problems at BBY exchanging...

Did you return it?
Like you, I had to drive but only an hour. Last one in stock. I got it back to my shop, the first thing I did was plug in the charger... CHARGES!
I performed all the tasks with upgrades, Had a short flight due to partially charged solo battery.

Definitely needs the gimbal ! Hopefully soon. Flying again this P.M.

And no problems at BBY exchanging...

I went back to BBY, they were excellent in exchanging it. They had one left and they held it for me until I got there. I had them test it in store and the new one indicated Charger Connected and worked fine. Definitely, was in the controller as it did work with the new power cable on the old controller.

Reactions: Del
Guys pls help, experienced same thing, After my first flight i realized it didn't charge all the while the charger wasn't working, I tested With a 9 volt charger and it indicated charging, I opened up the charger and fixed it, it started charging. But I've charged it for 3 days now and it won't go more than 60%.
B&h asked me to return for exchange but the problem is I'm in Nigeria took long and a lot to get it here. The drone flies perfect I'm thinking should I get a new battery or could it be the charger? Will cost a lot if I have to exchange since initiallyB&h shipped to my us address, so they can't bear the cost to ship it to Africa.

Guys pls help, experienced same thing, After my first flight i realized it didn't charge all the while the charger wasn't working, I tested With a 9 volt charger and it indicated charging, I opened up the charger and fixed it, it started charging. But I've charged it for 3 days now and it won't go more than 60%.
B&h asked me to return for exchange but the problem is I'm in Nigeria took long and a lot to get it here. The drone flies perfect I'm thinking should I get a new battery or could it be the charger? Will cost a lot if I have to exchange since initiallyB&h shipped to my us address, so they can't bear the cost to ship it to Africa.
Does the battery icon show a discharge after use? Then charge back to 60%? Not sure what to tell you. It could be the battery or the controller only reading the battery at 60%. Does it appear to stay at 60% for a while when in use, as in a few flights of solo battery discharge? I think the nomenclature reads, when fully charged, the battery should last up to 6 hours.

What did you repair in the charger when you opened it up?

If your comfortable opening the transmitter you could check the plug from the charge port.

I'm experiencing same issue...I bet theres an adaptor somewhere that will mate to that batteries plug so charging could be done outside the xmitter.
Mine says (reads) charger connected but the green progress bar never exceeds approx. 40% maybe it never states its full unless you get the extended capacity (larger) battery? other readers were claiming they had 8.4 volts. This is a 2 cell battery so 8.4 is going to be full with 2 cells at 4.20 each..So they have full batteries even tho the xmitter doesn't reflect that. Interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M