Can't update firmware with Solex or Sidepilot

Reaction score
Dear Solo Help forums,

I just got a Solo out of the box. Looks great. However, I can't seem to update the firmware on it. I only have an iPhone 5 and Samsung tab 10.1 2014 which both can't run the 3dr solo app. So I took advice to update the firmware via either side pilot or solex.

First I tried sidepilot. I followed the instructions on the github page. However after downloading the update packages and connecting to solo wifi, I tried to update. It copied the files, successfully, then finally returned an error message: Failed: Script postinstall.sh failed. Please try again. That happened for both controller and solo updates.

I tried to power cycle both devices anyway but the controller still says preflight update required before first flight.

So, next I looked to the Solex app for android. I read the instructions on the github page for it. I could not find any firmware update item in the menu. The github page says: If you don't see the Firmware Updates menu, make sure you have Advanced Mode checked in the Solex app settings.

I enabled Advanced mode in the app settings. However, no menu appeared for firmware updates. :(

Does anyone know what my next step should be? Or why the firmware updates menu did not appear? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Could it be because I need to update via the solo app from 3dr out-of-the-box first before I can update with sidepilot or solex?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm also willing to try an update via SSH if all else fails, but don't want to brick the bird before I even get it updated. THANKS!

Dear Solo Help forums,

I just got a Solo out of the box. Looks great. However, I can't seem to update the firmware on it. I only have an iPhone 5 and Samsung tab 10.1 2014 which both can't run the 3dr solo app. So I took advice to update the firmware via either side pilot or solex.

First I tried sidepilot. I followed the instructions on the github page. However after downloading the update packages and connecting to solo wifi, I tried to update. It copied the files, successfully, then finally returned an error message: Failed: Script postinstall.sh failed. Please try again. That happened for both controller and solo updates.

I tried to power cycle both devices anyway but the controller still says preflight update required before first flight.

So, next I looked to the Solex app for android. I read the instructions on the github page for it. I could not find any firmware update item in the menu. The github page says: If you don't see the Firmware Updates menu, make sure you have Advanced Mode checked in the Solex app settings.

I enabled Advanced mode in the app settings. However, no menu appeared for firmware updates. :(

Does anyone know what my next step should be? Or why the firmware updates menu did not appear? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Could it be because I need to update via the solo app from 3dr out-of-the-box first before I can update with sidepilot or solex?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm also willing to try an update via SSH if all else fails, but don't want to brick the bird before I even get it updated. THANKS!
Here is an update to sadly still not being able to update firmware. So, magically, the update firmware menu item appeared on the Solex app. I continued to follow instructions to download the open solo updates for controller and copter. I tried to install them as per the instructions but got the following error message... which is essentially identical to what sidepilot was saying. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

f6185a5dad0d812f2c31b2861c52a958.jpg

Here is an update to sadly still not being able to update firmware. So, magically, the update firmware menu item appeared on the Solex app. I continued to follow instructions to download the open solo updates for controller and copter. I tried to install them as per the instructions but got the following error message... which is essentially identical to what sidepilot was saying. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

f6185a5dad0d812f2c31b2861c52a958.jpg
Here we are in April 2020 and my solo sat on a shelf for 1Year.doing update on SidePilot to 4.0 and also while running postinstall scripts get the ssh message.did the Controller with no problem. Any Ideas?

Any luck on install....I have a solo brand new and I've been searching for ...the know how using Android since 3dr solo app doesn't work on newer phones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig