Can't do initial update with LG G PAd 8.3

Reaction score
OK, picked up my Solo tonight and was hoping to get it set up tonight, but I have come across a snag. I have a LG G Pad 8.3, installed the Solo app from the play store. Controller and Solo are on, app is running, was able to change Wifi name and password on the Solo, then went to do the initial update. When I go to download the update it says I have to disconnect from the Solo wifi and connect to my home wifi to download the updates. After a few minutes it is done and shows the "Begin" button to begin the update. Once I press "Begin" is asks to connect back to Solo, once that happens and i go back tot he update screen, the "Begin" button is gone and "Download Update" :( I have gone round and around this way 3 or 4 times, no change, Any Idea what the issue is?

Only thing I can guess is that I do not get 4G service in my apartment. I can try outside tomorrow, if it is not raining

Try connecting to Solo wifi first before you tap the "begin button."

I tried that, and a couple other methods. it always seems that as soon as i go back to the update screen, which previously said "Begin", it now says "Download Update".

Everything else seems to work, I get video from the Gopro, I can change some settings, I can even connect with Tower and Arm the Solo. I am thinking the issue is with the LG G Pad. I need to use the G Pad, at least for a few months.

Like I said in the first post, I had no 4G network connectivity (poor reception in my house, and raining outside), so tonight I will try in a better location, which I know has 4G service. Hopefully if I don't have to flip between screens, the "Begin" button won't disappear.

Last edited:
I had this exact same issue. I am also using the LG G Pad. I had to do my update with a supported device, and then go back to using the G Pad.

I downloaded the solo app to my phone (a supported Galaxy), did the update. Then went back to using the LG G Pad to fly.

Yep, I went out and got a Samsung Tab 4 10" tablet. Update went smooth, BUT tablet is way too big for holder. I am going to return in and get something else.

How is the video feed on the LG G pad? , mine is laggy and skipping.

Any suggestions for Tablet for the solo?

Yep, I went out and got a Samsung Tab 4 10" tablet. Update went smooth, BUT tablet is way too big for holder. I am going to return in and get something else.

How is the video feed on the LG G pad? , mine is laggy and skipping.

Any suggestions for Tablet for the solo?

I guess I haven't used another tablet often enough to have a comparison. I haven't noticed anything strange with the G Pad, but sometimes it'd be nice to have something with a brighter screen.
I have an 8" Galaxy Tab 4 (AT&T) that I really like. I use it for games, surfing, and Netflix.(It's a supported device for the Solo)
I use the LG G Pad for the Solo because I have no other use for that and can keep it packed up with the Solo.

I guess I haven't used another tablet often enough to have a comparison. I haven't noticed anything strange with the G Pad, but sometimes it'd be nice to have something with a brighter screen.
I have an 8" Galaxy Tab 4 (AT&T) that I really like. I use it for games, surfing, and Netflix.(It's a supported device for the Solo)
I use the LG G Pad for the Solo because I have no other use for that and can keep it packed up with the Solo.
That's my Solo pad, the Galaxy Tab 4 and it works great.

How is the live video quality? My LG G pad, which works, just can't do updates, has very laggy and skipping video. I would say unflyable, only good to line up a single shot as it lags too much for flowing shots or video? :( I bought a Tab 4, 10", but it is too big. I am going to return it after the new update comes out in a few days. So the question is, what Tab? Samsung Tab S, S2 was mentioned somewhere. Any thoughts?

I have good video. I am using the FPVLR antennas and I have a good connection. When I get out to about 4000 it does start getting pixelated and lags.

My G Pad breaks up at 15 feet, not sure if it is the link from Solo to the controller or the G Pad can't keep up????

Try killing all your background apps. Also turn off the 3G. Just have your wireless running for connection to Solo, the Solo app, and of course the 3DR services.
You mentioned installing it on your phone? Try it with that. I am thinking it's your Pad.

Try killing all your background apps. Also turn off the 3G. Just have your wireless running for connection to Solo, the Solo app, and of course the 3DR services.
You mentioned installing it on your phone? Try it with that. I am thinking it's your Pad.
I'll give this a shot tomorrow

I definitely don't have the problems you're having with the G Pad. I see about a 1 second delay in actual vs shown on screen (and I'm assuming that is normal delay), but I only get distortion or pixelation once I'm at the extent of my range (usually around 2000'). Otherwise the G Pad works pretty well for me.

Edit: for reference, I only use the G Pad for the Solo. So it has nothing else installed or running besides the 3DR apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M