Cameras OTHER than GoPro?

Reaction score
Any chance (rumors?) that the Solo will eventually be able to accommodate alternate, higher quality cameras?

Any chance (rumors?) that the Solo will eventually be able to accommodate alternate, higher quality cameras?
According to GoPro the Hero 5 will be out in Dec with 8K and higher frame rates. According to them it will be backward compatible with 4 hardware and bus. So it "should" work generally. They would have to account for the new menus etc. In software.

They just announced their own drone in the works for release early 2016 as well, expect them to be holding onto some advantages To sell it

I guess it depends on what you define as higher quality.

Some don't want the fish eye of the GoPro.
Some want higher resolution (8K).
Some want a global shutter vs the Rolling shutter of the GoPro.

I'd like to see other cameras, just to have other options. For example, the ability to use the Flir Vue Pro would be very interesting. Too bad it only has analog output, I'd love to try it if it only had an HDMI output.

Or other cameras with rectilinear lenses (yes, I know I can mod a GoPro to change its lens).

According to GoPro the Hero 5 will be out in Dec with 8K and higher frame rates. According to them it will be backward compatible with 4 hardware and bus. So it "should" work generally. They would have to account for the new menus etc. In software.

I'd take a pass on still higher resolution in exchange for more options for sensor and lens. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Sounds good, but the FAA says you can't fly at night anyway! o_O

Since I'm fairly new at UAV's, can you point me in the right direction to the FAA part rulings on this? I fly at home a lot, and around my 7 acres at low ALT doing surveys at night (wait till you see my accessory bay mod's), I see not issues. I live under a very active VFR flight route and a pilot myself, so I'll have to check that issue out on UAV's. Thanks for the head's up.

Cheers

Since I'm fairly new at UAV's, can you point me in the right direction to the FAA part rulings on this? I fly at home a lot, and around my 7 acres at low ALT doing surveys at night (wait till you see my accessory bay mod's), I see not issues. I live under a very active VFR flight route and a pilot myself, so I'll have to check that issue out on UAV's. Thanks for the head's up.

Cheers

Broadly speaking without a specific exemption-- 333 Exemption-- one can not operate a UAV in any profit making enterprise. That included realtors, wedding videographers, and even farmers.

Those flying as a hobby are subject to the rules posted here. Interestingly I don't see night flying referenced here although I've read of that restriction in numerous other places.

Here's a list of things one can not do even with the 333 Exemption.

Much discussion/debate around all aspects of the current and proposed rules. No one knows for sure where it will all end up.

Broadly speaking without a specific exemption-- 333 Exemption-- one can not operate a UAV in any profit making enterprise. That included realtors, wedding videographers, and even farmers.

Those flying as a hobby are subject to the rules posted here. Interestingly I don't see night flying referenced here although I've read of that restriction in numerous other places.

Here's a list of things one can not do even with the 333 Exemption.

Much discussion/debate around all aspects of the current and proposed rules. No one knows for sure where it will all end up.

True you speak...

However - at home, at night - Solo is on patrol...

Cheers

As far as 8K on the Solo, give up the idea for a little while longer. HEVC is just coming into acquisition now that it's been standardized for delivery.
Otherwise, 3DR reps do say they're developing code for Sony cameras. I'm flying the Sony FX1000V on a tilt mount, stabilization enabled. Although it looks good, I'm hopeful for a gimbal based on conversations with 3DR reps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44