Bricked my solo

Reaction score
I tried updating to open solo 4.0. It got stuck in the update so now I have been trying to revert back to 3.0. I follow the GitHub put the image on a as card and nothing. It turns on and is stuck. I have four green leds on the underside but it plays no sounds or anything. I’m at a loss and any help is appreciated.

The original solo app for android is still downloadable from the google playstore.
According to a similar thread elsewhere, using an older android device solves the problem.

I am in the same situation. Mine isnt broadcasting the wifi anymore with the 4 green lights, could you explain how a older android is able to fix this?

Relax Folks, I am here! Of course, I'm not going to tell you how to fix this, but it will be fixable...
THAT is the unique advantage you have over the poor DJI schmucks.
As well as all that freedom to choose how you operate, (I hope you choose wisely).

Look, I never had a solo before, but I had APM copters and they did that stuff when YOU weren't doing something right.

Keep the thread alive, keep talking about what is happening and what you've tried, and someone like DKMEXR will pop up and give us a hint, or one of you will figure it out. I'm waiting for mine's used go-pro to arrive and the box of old android fones I picked up hoping there is one that will do as a decent and dedicated "screen" before I do any looking into what ails your copters.

At worst as far as I can tell, you'll need to get a network card changed. This is kinda an I.T. problem, rather than avionics..

I had a spare solo and swapped the cube. I was able to get back into it. I followed the install instructions and each time I finish updating the remote, I loose wifi connection and the update for the copter fails.

To me, (and I only have advanced general & a smattering of commercial IT knowledge) it sounds like your remote up date software is making the wifi in the transmitter use a different mode of operation, which it then expects the copter to "know" in order to be able to accept the update. I THINK the fix MAY be as easy as doing something with the usb cable or SD card in the copter.

The android phones apparently still serve the original 3dr solo app.

The postinstall.sh script failed when loading to the copter. It ran for several minutes with a message saying network error. I shut the copter down and booted back up. I noticed the orange light is flashing quickly indicating the update is still running. I had disco lights and once finished, I got the successful start sequence beeps. Performing the same sequence ended with the same result. I am now taking my third working Solo and imaging both sd cards in the drone and the remote sd to hopefully restore my now 2 bricked Solo drones. :/

What that looks like and suggests to me is that a network hardware change may have happed during the production life of solo, and that the update software was at least partially passed to the copter, and isn't working for the network card within, yer basic software incompatibilty. Since you've "busted two", I'd be reluctant to get a third machine involved at this point right now unless I was absolutely sure I knew what I was doing. With these FC's there is the flash memory on the card to consider and the flash memory inside the processor to consider.

There's also the fact that there are now TWO distinct ways to operate your solo. The "new" software and the Original software which is now only supported on older android handsets If I understand correctly. I've definitely seen a hardware fix for the problem you describe elsewhere, but from what i can gather the new software is "better" but the old software was "perfectly adequate" so it should be possible to restore the old software still, but you'll doubtless need to down grade both handset and solo's SD card simultaneously.

I suspect however that isn't the whole story as there is code and variables stored in the processor itself that you probably need a wired link via the USB port and mission planner to get at. This has the look of one of those simple problems that people often have to fix the long way. I better shut up, because I'm feeling the want to go and work this problem for the fun of it, and I only have ONE solo...

Please, tell us how it goes.

I removed the SD cards from the Cube and the wifi board and made copies of them from the working Solo. I wrote to the SD cards in the Solo that I am working on and I am still getting all solid green lights, no startup tones. I booted the Solo that is working and it still works. I cant understand why this one will not start up correctly even though I just matched the sd cards..

Whilst I DO wish someone would pop in who actually knows what they are doing, I don't mind keeping this going.
Using my admittedly Autistic step by step thinking, it seems obvious that your software update made a change to you solo's internal firmware and that to get it back to standard, you will need to know how to do a "Factory reset". I suspect that simply making the image available by putting it on the card is not enough.

Lemme go and think about this whilst I go and cut the grass...

I have followed the instructions step by step. The solo will no longer make startup tomes. Using the reset procedure seems to not go anywhere. Solid green lights on all 4 arms.

The original solo app for android is still downloadable from the google playstore.
According to a similar thread elsewhere, using an older android device solves the problem.
I’ve had the same problem with mine I have several older android phones LG G4, LG G6 LG v30 none of these will unbrick the copter! Yes you can go back to the stock solo but it still will not connect to copter

Hang on... This is a PIXHAWK machine we are talking about here.
It's essentially unbrickable by design. This isn't yer proprietry chinese made rubbish, it's the product of a great deal of people from all parts of the globe who envisioned and created the OPEN SOURCE arduopilot system that pixhawk is a continuation of.

Better still, there will be different vectors available to connect to the onboard F/C, not just the handset.

None of the code (as far as I am aware) is hidden or "locked in" in any way, so a bricked copter just needs the code from a good copter. And that code probably needs to be copied onto the internal SD card.

But before you try any of that, have you tried using mission planner to connect to the pixhawk over the usb port?
Using MP to connect you can at least (very often) get a good idea of what is and isn't happening with your copter.

I've found this with copters. It all suddenly gets very "learny" & complicated to keep them going.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc