Battery strange behavior

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just want to share something really strange on my battery behavior, my Solo´s original battery started started to make strange stuff since two weekends ago, I´ve flown 4 times the same battery with pretty similar results. Once I take off, after full Sats available & home lock granted, evertything seems normal but suddenly the battery capacity drops very quickly from high 90s (97-98%) to 60% then to 25% and RTL is triggered, all of this in a couple of minutes, probably less. The funny side is that i watch the voltage level to avoid going under 14V, i keep my Solo on the air for several minutes with 0% of remaining battery but with V always above 14, it flew around 8-9 min with these conditions, it seems that the battery had some issues with the "smart electronics" but the battery itself has still juice on it. I´ve been looking on the threads to see if there is some issues similar or f there is a way to "fatory reset" the battery, any help, suggestions or toughs are really appreciate. I´ve attached the latest log file with this funny stuff, by the way it starts the night before to the actual flight time, wich is equal strange.

Again, thanks for your help and toughs, warm regards from Mexico City
Efren

Attachments

• solo4.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
I agree with your assessment. There is definitely something wrong with how the battery's brain is measuring and tracking current flow. My first action would be to discharge the battery down to about 13.7 to 13.6 volts under load (in flight). I just hover a few feet off the ground in my landing zone for about 2 minutes until the battery is down to that level. Then recharge it completely. Repeat again if it still doesn't read correctly. If doing this twice doesn't restore normal operation, open a ticket with 3DR using the solo app so they get the logs. They'll probably send you a new battery.

I agree with your assessment. There is definitely something wrong with how the battery's brain is measuring and tracking current flow. My first action would be to discharge the battery down to about 13.7 to 13.6 volts under load (in flight). I just hover a few feet off the ground in my landing zone for about 2 minutes until the battery is down to that level. Then recharge it completely. Repeat again if it still doesn't read correctly. If doing this twice doesn't restore normal operation, open a ticket with 3DR using the solo app so they get the logs. They'll probably send you a new battery.

Thanks for your feedback P2P, Iwill try the discharge hope it works, Regards

Welcome, Efren. I had the same issue with a brand new battery. It would go from 98% down to 25% in minutes, and then go down to 5-7% within seconds. After a few emails, I got an RMA and sent in the battery and they sent me a new one. I hope it goes as smooth for you. Again, welcome to the forum, and safe flying.

Welcome, Efren. I had the same issue with a brand new battery. It would go from 98% down to 25% in minutes, and then go down to 5-7% within seconds. After a few emails, I got an RMA and sent in the battery and they sent me a new one. I hope it goes as smooth for you. Again, welcome to the forum, and safe flying.

Thanks for your feedback Chuck, as well as for the welcome. I will be flying this thursday to "empty" my battery as low as suggested by P2P if this procedure does not work I will contact 3DR, by the way what does RMA stand for? im learning a lot these days!!!

Return Merchandise Authorization. It's the process by which you send broken stuff back.

Like P2P said, when you get an RMA approved, they send you a prepaid return label to send in your defective part. After they receive it they will then ship you out a replacement. My battery replacement took about a week, and went very smooth. Good luck.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso