Antennas/Software Newbie Questions Post

Reaction score
Hello all-

Been reading here for a few days/weeks now. There seem to be a ton of good people here and lots of knowledge. I have seen some great content from the experienced guys. I am completely new to Solo and well, Drones. I did a lot of research online and finally 'landed' on the Solo. So here I am and so are many other it appears. I did fly RC planes for a while (back before they all went electric) but NOTHING like this awesomeness. In reading a lot of the post, I see topics referred to but sometimes not explained very well. (A necessary evil of forums I have found, no one's fault.) My goal with this post is to ask a few of the questions I have come up with in the hopes of getting the more experienced guys to answer in one place, that is also useful to newbies that have next to 0 prior knowledge. Lets face it. These things are so awesome that total newbies can just jump and jump in the deep end, but this leaves a gap.

First Question: Extending the Range? I have seen two apparently leading contenders FPVLR and DBS. I think the links are:

FPVLR
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/3dr-solo-basic-kit/
DBS
https://shop.trycelery.com/page/itelite_dbs_phantom_plus

I have seen other suggestions but these seem 1. to get the experienced guys excited and 2. have all the testing, all others seem untested.

Can we get a list of the pros and Cons of each?

Second Question: 'Other Software' is the only way I can describe. There are several reference to 'Flight Planner' and 'Towers', something to read the logs and a few others. Having said that, being totally new at this I have no clue what they do or why I should get or worry about them. Except...that I know I do because so many of you experienced guys do. I did find a flight planner software at http://ardupilot.com/downloads/ but to be completely honest I have no idea what this is or how to work the dang thing. Again, completely new, no teacher in sight.

So maybe the question is: Can we get a brief list of programs we could/should be using to supplement our drone activities and the purpose behind each one of them? Possibly some pros cons here too.

Any help using them as well as honestly it is a bit overwhelming.

I would say that you will find FPVLR and DBSmods pretty close. I am running DBS right now but have run FPVLR in the past. Cant say anything bad about either. The DBS antenna does not come in a ready to go Solo version so you have to order a P3 version and modify the mount slightly. FPVLR does have a printed plastic mount to make the setup a little easier.

Tower is a mission planning software that runs on Android devices. It allows you to change some Solo parameters as well. Its a must have for changing things like return to home height.
Mission Planner is a windows program. In my eyes its a little buggy but its a great way to analyze your log files after a flight.

Enjoy your Solo !

Hello all-

Been reading here for a few days/weeks now. There seem to be a ton of good people here and lots of knowledge. I have seen some great content from the experienced guys. I am completely new to Solo and well, Drones. I did a lot of research online and finally 'landed' on the Solo. So here I am and so are many other it appears. I did fly RC planes for a while (back before they all went electric) but NOTHING like this awesomeness. In reading a lot of the post, I see topics referred to but sometimes not explained very well. (A necessary evil of forums I have found, no one's fault.) My goal with this post is to ask a few of the questions I have come up with in the hopes of getting the more experienced guys to answer in one place, that is also useful to newbies that have next to 0 prior knowledge. Lets face it. These things are so awesome that total newbies can just jump and jump in the deep end, but this leaves a gap.

First Question: Extending the Range? I have seen two apparently leading contenders FPVLR and DBS. I think the links are:

FPVLR
https://fpvlr.com/store/product/3dr-solo-basic-kit/
DBS
https://shop.trycelery.com/page/itelite_dbs_phantom_plus

I have seen other suggestions but these seem 1. to get the experienced guys excited and 2. have all the testing, all others seem untested.

Can we get a list of the pros and Cons of each?

Second Question: 'Other Software' is the only way I can describe. There are several reference to 'Flight Planner' and 'Towers', something to read the logs and a few others. Having said that, being totally new at this I have no clue what they do or why I should get or worry about them. Except...that I know I do because so many of you experienced guys do. I did find a flight planner software at http://ardupilot.com/downloads/ but to be completely honest I have no idea what this is or how to work the dang thing. Again, completely new, no teacher in sight.

So maybe the question is: Can we get a brief list of programs we could/should be using to supplement our drone activities and the purpose behind each one of them? Possibly some pros cons here too.
If you want simplicity, Tower would be my choice.
If you're really into it, Mission planner is very detailed. It can also be used to download your flight logs and play them back. You also have access to a ton of parameters which you can change...I don't recommend that unless you know what you are doing. There are so many possibilities with the Solo and the available software.
Any help using them as well as honestly it is a bit overwhelming.
Both Tower and Mission Planner (APM Planner on Mac OSX) are made for use with products running the Pixhawk controller. Tower is mostly compatible with Solo and Mission Planner would be an advanced version of Tower.
They both give you the option of playing around with all the quads parameters which I don't recommend doing unless you know what you are doing.
The capabilities are wide open with both of these apps. There are a few folks on this forum quite verse with both.

Last edited:
Fisrt advice is think of it like eating an elephant. Which is to say, one bite at a time, and certainly not all at once...

Never used DBMods, but FPVLR works really well. A bit more "directional" than stock, but I am usually pointed toward the craft ayway, and it gives you longer range/better signal.

Mission Planner is a PC software. APM Planner is for Mac. Tower is an Android software. if you have Android, get it. Play around with it and ask questions before even connecting it. Connect it (Hint: Connection type UPD) while you run Solo, and just watch and listren (voice alerts) while you also use Solo app for flying...

Later you can create entire "missions" and downlaod them to your Solo from either Mission Planner or Tower, that it will then go fly on command. Careful though, Solo doesn't have collision avoidance, (yet) and it will fly into a tree/mountain/house if you inadvertently tell it to...

Reactions: rrmccabe
I would say that you will find FPVLR and DBSmods pretty close. I am running DBS right now but have run FPVLR in the past. Cant say anything bad about either. The DBS antenna does not come in a ready to go Solo version so you have to order a P3 version and modify the mount slightly. FPVLR does have a printed plastic mount to make the setup a little easier.

Tower is a mission planning software that runs on Android devices. It allows you to change some Solo parameters as well. Its a must have for changing things like return to home height.
Mission Planner is a windows program. In my eyes its a little buggy but its a great way to analyze your log files after a flight.

Enjoy your Solo !
I too asked rrmccabe the same and ended up going with the FPVLR since I wouldnt have to do any modifications nor do I have the time. Mine will be here either Thursday or Friday. I went to this because something here where I live on a large farm causes a major interference with my solo. My "other" drones have no effect and dont suffer. I was only geting 500-600 feet before it turned red. I traveled to another farm not far from me and suffered no ill effect. Hopefully this will get me out to the edges of the farm.

You've got some good info here so far.

I'll only add that to get started you don't need any of this. The Solo will fly fine with it's own app, and if you are flying line of visual sight for photos and such, you don't even need an alternate antenna.

All the others things that are mentioned can be considered for advanced applications. Save it for when you get more experience with the Solo.

Note: I'm also a long time RC pilot.

You've got some good info here so far.

I'll only add that to get started you don't need any of this. The Solo will fly fine with it's own app, and if you are flying line of visual sight for photos and such, you don't even need an alternate antenna.

All the others things that are mentioned can be considered for advanced applications. Save it for when you get more experience with the Solo.

Note: I'm also a long time RC pilot.
And I meant to say that also. FLY line of sight. There is by far many risk on getting this out of sight. It basically becomes a very very dangerous object in the sky if it looses contact and flys off on its on or worse falls from the sky. But I too am a long time pilot and LINE OF SIGHT is my preffered way. I only bought long range because of my issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks