Android Map APP for plane tracking.

Reaction score
Can the community post any good free apps for Android. I would like to scan the air quickly if there are any lower flying planes before I take off. Something that i can put in my pre-flight take offs forms. Im looking for ones that will show the air maps, not just googles maps. You know like the flight paths for airports and such. And air zones, with the live flying planes overlapping this?

Thanks peeps!,
Happy hovering!

You might try searching on an adsb app. Probably will need a receiver too.
I found one that I dont need the receiver for. Its called FlightAware Its ok, for the free version anyways, tells me the air traffic in the area. Kind of nice to know if im in an area where there might be a low flying prop job or something.... Thanks for the tip though!

Flightaware is very limited. Jets at 35,000ft aren't really an issue. Small Planes, Hot Air Balloons, Light Sport Aircraft and other many other types of Private Planes flying VFR are not going to show up on an any App I'm aware of. Some have ADS-B due to recent regulations, but they don't kick in until January of 2020 and you would need some expensive hardware to track. There are also many exemptions. The good news is most are supposed to stay at > 1,000 ft AGL. Private Pilots are not required to file a flight plan with the FAA although its a good idea.

Another problem is Helicopters. They go pretty much where they what to and sometimes pretty low. For example, the local Hospital is 1 mile from me and has their Life Lion Turbojet Helicopter that responds to local emergencies and transports patients from A to B. I'm not aware of an app or software that you are requesting. I'm also a Pilot FYI.

Rules may be different in Canada? You guys also have lots of lakes with aircraft flying in/out as well. Personally IDK - never flew there - Private anyway.

Last edited:
Flightaware is very limited. Jets at 35,000ft aren't really an issue. Small Planes, Hot Air Balloons, Light Sport Aircraft and other many other types of Private Planes flying VFR are not going to show up on an any App I'm aware of. Some have ADS-B due to recent regulations, but they don't kick in until January of 2020 and you would need some expensive hardware to track. There are also many exemptions. The good news is most are supposed to stay at > 1,000 ft AGL. Private Pilots are not required to file a flight plan with the FAA although its a good idea.

Another problem is Helicopters. They go pretty much where they what to and sometimes pretty low. For example, the local Hospital is 1 mile from me and has their Life Lion Turbojet Helicopter that responds to local emergencies and transports patients from A to B. I'm not aware of an app or software that you are requesting. I'm also a Pilot FYI.

Rules may be different in Canada? You guys also have lots of lakes with aircraft flying in/out as well. Personally IDK - never flew there - Private anyway.
Ya ya i understand! Im in Canada, and its the same here. I do see its limited. My co-worker told me to get a receiver and such but I didn't want to mess with that. What I do like however is the map thats with the solo app that gives me the Airport ranges and aerodromes and such. I wish solex had a map of the same from Airmap.

Reactions: FlyXlsa
In the USA we have an app called B4UFLY by the FAA. Shows airports and and heliports, etc.. Could use some improvements, but it's not too bad. Perhaps the CCA has something similar.. or should?

Another new app app which you may find interesting is Altitude Angel. I know there is a version for iOS and it also integrates with Mission Planner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150