3DR Solo vs Mavic Air, do you agree?

But don't forget, the whole point of the solo was that it was supposed to be an open source upgradable drone when it first came out. It was the drone that people were going to make parts for, people would be able to update and the drone would just get better and better. In that regard it lived up to it's promise, only without the support of 3DR.

Yea but no one is stopping you from modifying a Mavic Pro. Lots of people do... There's several companies that make accessories, cameras, etc for the Mavic as well Like I said before, there's a difference between wanting to modify your drone and having to modify your drone.

Reactions: TheBasicPilot
With DJI, you know that you are getting a real nice drone- but it’s exactly what’s inside the box-
With Solo, it is constantly evolving and the possibilities are limitless.

There are plenty of mods for a Mavic. The difference is that you don't need to do them. There are quite a few channels of guys HEAVILY modding Mavics. From software to hardware.

Yea but he's not just saying that, the damn thing wouldn't track. It stopped at the controller but continued looking at him.

I didn't miss the part where you called AT1 DANGEROUS AND SUBSTANDARD! Hardly praise. Skydio? I'm not stupid enough to buy a $2000+ drone for 1 feature or use case. I like my drone to be good in several situations and scenarios, reliable, portable and worry free.

Again learn the machine. Anafi can be set up to follow the controller and visual or just visual, operator error.

AT is dangerous IMO and many others. AT dive bomb attacks are common search it.

I would wear a helmet if I AT'd on foot. Watch the many Active Track attack videos on my channel, here's one:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You said at the top of the video that you were comparing "stock" configurations I'm wondering if that includes the stock GPS chip without the added shield? I had quite a few problems with my Solo until I replaced the GPS module with the mRo and installed the V2 shield. Much better

Then you talked about how smooth the gimbal was but also discussed several modifications to the gimbal. Up and down transitions can be a problem with the Air but side to side transitions and forward shots are difficult with the Solo with legs and props creeping into your video.

I still use my Hero 4 Black along with my Hero 5 and 6 but I didn't hear any mention of fisheye or the Solo's problem with using 4k. The Hero 4 Black was a great camera 2 years ago but the Hero 5/6 and Mavic Air are better in my opinion. I do think it beats the Mavic Pro .. Except for the fisheye. Thank goodness for linear mode on the 5.

I know you said that you don't care but range is much better on the Mavic. Return to home, much more accurate. Automatic low battery return based on distance, Mavic has it.

There's a few other things but basically I liked your comparison. You don't happen to have a GoPro Karma do you? That's a good one as well.

Again learn the machine. Anafi can be set up to follow the controller and visual or just visual, operator error.

AT is dangerous IMO and many others. AT dive bomb attacks are common search it.

I would wear a helmet if I AT'd on foot. Watch the many Active Track attack videos on my channel, here's one:

Oh...my mistake, thank you... You're saying that he had it in the wrong mode. I have over 200 flights with my Mavic and have never had this happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, though. What I said was that you accused me of overlooking your praise of DJI active track I responded that you said it was dangerous. Now you are doubling down on that. That's cool but it makes my original statement accurate.

I don't pretend to be an expert on all things drone related, I merely communicate my personal experiences with the different platforms that I own

Besides, you post some problems with tracking okay cool Do you know how many videos are on YouTube of successful tracking by a DJI product? Btw since when does the P4P use GPS tracking? I'm really confused now!

Last edited:
Oh...my mistake, thank you... You're saying that he had it in the wrong mode. I have over 200 flights with my Mavic and have never had this happen. I'm not saying it's impossible, though. What I said was that you accused me of overlooking your praise of DJI active track I responded that you said it was dangerous. Now you are doubling down on that. That's cool but it makes my original statement accurate.

I don't pretend to be an expert on all things drone related, I merely communicate my personal experiences with the different platforms that I own

Besides, you post some problems with tracking okay cool Do you know how many videos are on YouTube of successful tracking by a DJI product? Btw since when does the P4P use GPS tracking? I'm really confused now!

Clear indication of your understanding. GO4 has both Active Track(optical recognition) and Follow Me (GPS Follow), you use one or the other.

Parrot has patented technology that uses both simultaneously along with dynamic altitude. With Anafi if you follow the subject with a GPS enabled device(no controller required as you mention) Anafi will use GPS AND optical recognition for the most robust link to the subject.

If you want to follow a subject with optical recognition only (Active Track) turn off the device GPS location services.

Mavics are excellent drones but their autonomous modes are years behind, hence Active Track 2.

Clear indication of your understanding. GO4 has both Active Track(optical recognition) and Follow Me (GPS Follow), you use one or the other.

Parrot has patented technology that uses both simultaneously along with dynamic altitude. With Anafi if you follow the subject with a GPS enabled device(no controller required as you mention) Anafi will use GPS AND optical recognition for the most robust link to the subject.

If you want to follow a subject with optical recognition only (Active Track) turn off the device GPS location services.

Mavics are excellent drones but their autonomous modes are years behind, hence Active Track 2.

Cool, I have a Bebop 1 somewhere... It doesn't do all of that stuff. I almost got a Bebop 2 but bought the Solo instead I saw the Bebop 2 with Skycontroller and goggles for $300 at Best Buy last week

So now I get that he was trying to get it to active track with the GPS tracking turned on.

You're saying that "follow me" (aka GPS tracking) doesn't work on DJI drones and optical tracking only works for slow moving subjects Do I have it right?

So of course I'm going to dig out my video of my Mavic Pro following my car through downtown no problem and post it. Again, I don't doubt that there have been problems, I'm just not convinced that they are the norm

Sure make sure you're going at least 25 miles an hour, following from the front, at 10 feet or less elevation. I have had this challenge to DJI guys for years. Anafi, Halo, Solo, Typhoon H... can all do it.

Sure make sure you're going at least 25 miles an hour, following from the front, at 10 feet or less elevation. I have had this challenge to DJI guys for years. Anafi, Halo, Solo, Typhoon H... can all do it.

Oh okay, so there are caveats... As had been said elsewhere, I have no doubt that other drones can do things that DJI drones can't. I'm also very sure that DJI drones can do things they can't. Again, I guess if you're only looking for a drone that will film and follow at 25mph, from the front, 10 feet away don't buy a DJI product . I was higher in the sky (50-100') and had it following me at about 20mph so I guess it doesn't count. Did it have to be a jeep in the desert making various altitude changes as well or will a level road be okay? That's a very specific use case scenario, dude. Plus you must know that the speed limit is 22 mph for the Mavic Pro! That's just sneaky!
BTW I contacted Captain Drone and am waiting for a reply.

Last edited:
I agree my need is unique however DJI does promote and market this use. I may have to retract part of my earlier statement. Anafi uses GPS and OR for Follow, I always carry a device on me so I never have the need to follow a subject with OR only. A controller is not required for follow with Anafi but it may require a device on the subject. I tried to initiate Follow and the checklist required a GPS device signal to start Follow. As I remember with Bebob 2 you could Follow with OR alone but I'm not sure Anafi can do this with the current firmware, I will have to test. I always use a tracking device like a Wizard wand or tracking puck of Halo, I'll do some testing if I get a chance.

But this in no way diminishes the results I am getting with my DJI drones in Follow I invite any videos showing their capability.

I agree my need is unique however DJI does promote and market this use. I may have to retract part of my earlier statement. Anafi uses GPS and OR for Follow, I always carry a device on me so I never have the need to follow a subject with OR only. A controller is not required for follow with Anafi but it may require a device on the subject. I tried to initiate Follow and the checklist required a GPS device signal to start Follow. As I remember with Bebob 2 you could Follow with OR alone but I'm not sure Anafi can do this with the current firmware, I will have to test. I always use a tracking device like a Wizard wand or tracking puck of Halo, I'll do some testing if I get a chance.

But this in no way diminishes the results I am getting with my DJI drones in Follow I invite any videos showing their capability.

Hey I'll happily take this loss. Out of 200 plus flights I've used follow only a few times and very rarely use autonomous flight modes of any kind. I prefer to fly myself. Heck, I barely care about the video. I have over 2T of footage that I've never edited or posted. The general misconception is that I think DJI is perfect and the best at everything. Nope. I do think they have the best all around drone though.

Oh and I'm not letting you out the hook for stipulating that it be over 25 mph when you know that the max speed of the Mavic Pro is 22! That's just plain old sneaky!

Here's an interesting review of the Skydio btw...

You said at the top of the video that you were comparing "stock" configurations I'm wondering if that includes the stock GPS chip without the added shield? I had quite a few problems with my Solo until I replaced the GPS module with the mRo and installed the V2 shield. Much better

Then you talked about how smooth the gimbal was but also discussed several modifications to the gimbal. Up and down transitions can be a problem with the Air but side to side transitions and forward shots are difficult with the Solo with legs and props creeping into your video.

I still use my Hero 4 Black along with my Hero 5 and 6 but I didn't hear any mention of fisheye or the Solo's problem with using 4k. The Hero 4 Black was a great camera 2 years ago but the Hero 5/6 and Mavic Air are better in my opinion. I do think it beats the Mavic Pro .. Except for the fisheye. Thank goodness for linear mode on the 5.

I know you said that you don't care but range is much better on the Mavic. Return to home, much more accurate. Automatic low battery return based on distance, Mavic has it.

There's a few other things but basically I liked your comparison. You don't happen to have a GoPro Karma do you? That's a good one as well.

That Solo I used in the video, has a stock gps (green) in it. So yes it was stock. I did do all those things so the gimbal would not be totally useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJMc
Fair enough. I was wondering because it logged in pretty quick.

As this was take 2 on both drones, they both previously had GPS lock in that location, I was surprised how fast the Solo did get GPS lock. That is pretty normal for the Mavic Air.

Hey I'll happily take this loss. Out of 200 plus flights I've used follow only a few times and very rarely use autonomous flight modes of any kind. I prefer to fly myself. Heck, I barely care about the video. I have over 2T of footage that I've never edited or posted. The general misconception is that I think DJI is perfect and the best at everything. Nope. I do think they have the best all around drone though.

Oh and I'm not letting you out the hook for stipulating that it be over 25 mph when you know that the max speed of the Mavic Pro is 22! That's just plain old sneaky!

Top speed of the Mavic Pro is not 22 mph , with OA active speed is limited. I use to follow at over 30 mph with my P3P.

Remember my comment about wearing a helmet? The Captain gets attacked, and it's apparent he couldn't follow well from the front either.

I have active tracked over 22 mph but I don't have time to waste with you. Use GPS Follow I've done over 30 mph in GPS follow.

Produce the video or admit Solo does it better. And if AT were limited to 22 mph again you lose.

Tell you what do it at 21 mph, we'll play by your rules. We're waiting.

I have active tracked over 22 mph but I don't have time to waste with you. Use GPS Follow I've done over 30 mph in GPS follow.

Produce the video or admit Solo does it better. And if AT were limited to 22 mph again you lose.

Tell you what do it at 21 mph, we'll play by your rules. We're waiting.

Huh? Please refer to post #52. I conceded that point a long time ago. The Solo is the best drone ever. Yay!

Seriously though, every drone has a compromise.

For what it's worth, I read the manual to find up with the numbers but according to YouTube DJI sent out an update that increased the speed to 34. So I was wrong I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986