3DR Solo Jellosville?

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

First flight in a hoard of mosquitos. To much Jello effect from vibration. Is it me or does the camera mount seem a little bound up?

I had real bad jello Saturday and ruined a great vid of my kids so I asked folks here and when I swapped from 1080 30 med to 1080 60 med it made a huge difference but I believe part of it was also my cable that day as I've not had results that bad yet on any setting. I try to be sure it has room to move and have had much better results since. Definitley odd that that cables so stiff and its length makes it easy to bind also very easy to end up with the mount out of level you can push it up or down on either side. Seems that was all just an oh $?&@ moment when gimbal was delayed or something. Wasn't very well thought out IMO but free so can't really complain.

Yup me neither I'm not sure if they expected the gimbal delay or just to keep price point for competition but should have come as a package really. Kinda like I think it's meant to run at least on medium settings below that it seems out of its element to me almost harder to control as it wanted to overcompensate.

Agreed, so many things promised at pre-order time that have yet to come true.

GoPro charging, oh, got to have gimbal for that.
On the fly recording on and off, oh, got to have gimbal for that
Video in stunning high def at 60 fps and higher, oh, got to have gimbal for that

I have ordered one, (May 15 from 3DR) but it should have been more clear what you were getting without a gimbal.

Yup me neither I'm not sure if they expected the gimbal delay or just to keep price point for competition but should have come as a package really. Kinda like I think it's meant to run at least on medium settings below that it seems out of its element to me almost harder to control as it wanted to overcompensate.
Thanks for the replies. I think your right about the cable binding up the mount. Moved it around and it seems better. I have a bunch of gimbals laying around, but don't see readily available +12V port.

Thanks for the replies. I think your right about the cable binding up the mount. Moved it around and it seems better. I have a bunch of gimbals laying around, but don't see readily available +12V port.
Yup I've debated it too but would probably void warranty. I've got the GCU for my zenmuse I bought the non phantom one for a situation like this since I like the gimbal but a couple weeks isn't worth affecting the warranty or ability to return if things go sour.

If you wanted to put one on their for just temporary use, you could just attach a small 3s battery to the bottom of the Solo. Then you wouldn't have to worry about a mod that would void the warranty.

I took a look at the HDMI cable routing. On my next flight I'm going to try to tie-wrap the HDMI cable to the center post of the mount to keep it from contacting the frame of the Solo.

Seeing how The Frame is mounted to the Solo, and how the cable is routed, I believe this will help a bit.

It looks like if the HDMI cable touches the body of the Solo, it can pick up vibrations, and this can negate some of the effect of the rubber dampers.

Unfortunately I'm grounded until 3DR support can get back to me as to why I lost connectivity to my controller when so close to the Solo, so I can't test this idea myself.

First flight in a hoard of mosquitos. To much Jello effect from vibration. Is it me or does the camera mount seem a little bound up?

I'm just wondering what all of that Green stuff is on the ground... I remember seeing it somewhere before.

Out here in California, it looks more like this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Of course there's plenty of the other kind of "Grass" out here, legally sold in little bags in the local corner Grass Store.
But it's now illegal to water the kind you have in that photo more than twice a week...

This vid was captured while I was getting ready to do a range test when a local Hawk took way too much interest in the Solo.
The shadow of its dive on my Solo shows up at the very beginning, but without a Gimbal I had no chance at getting a shot at it (photo shot, that is.)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I took a look at the HDMI cable routing. On my next flight I'm going to try to tie-wrap the HDMI cable to the center post of the mount to keep it from contacting the frame of the Solo.

Seeing how The Frame is mounted to the Solo, and how the cable is routed, I believe this will help a bit.

It looks like if the HDMI cable touches the body of the Solo, it can pick up vibrations, and this can negate some of the effect of the rubber dampers.

Unfortunately I'm grounded until 3DR support can get back to me as to why I lost connectivity to my controller when so close to the Solo, so I can't test this idea myself.

Ok, I tied the HDMI cable to the vertical part of the GoPro mount, and I thought it improved the jello! But then when reviewing the video, I realized that it was very cloudy out (we had just had rain), so maybe it wasn't bright enough to cause the GoPro to have a fast enough shutter speed to induce some jello/vibes.

So someone else can try this to see if it improves things. I think it has a chance as if the HDMI cable hits the Solo frame, it can only negate the rubber dampers and induce more vibes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44